carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 03-08-2021, 03:20 PM   #81
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
So, an irritating thing that I posted about a while back (and predates my suspension upgrade): On some turns, the car makes a pronounced creaking noise from the left rear. It doesn't do it over bumps, just with weight shift/chassis flex.

I was sort of hoping that the strut swap would fix it, but it didn't.

So, I found this thread and thought it was the answer--sounds like the same noise I am experiencing.

http://pedrosboard.com/read.php?7,24754,24754

Basically suggesting that you re-grease the ball joint in the LCA. What the hell, seems easy enough, so I gave that a shot this weekend. No luck. Creak is still there, undiminished.

I ordered some sway bar bushings and even some new drop links b/c Nick mentioned the bushings looked loose when we were doing the struts. But in the meantime I thought about it more, and while it's *possible* it's the sway bar, it doesn't really sound like it's coming from back there--and, like I said, it doesn't happen on bumps, just with weight shift. And it doesn't really sound like it's coming from down low, it sounds like it's coming from up high, but the strut is obvs bolted to the car up top, so there's no real movement up there. And the noise can't really be reproduced just bouncing the car up and down when parked.

So then I found this thread.

https://www.planet-9.com/threads/mys...-solved.83076/

Which...is really interesting, because it suggests it's not the suspension at all, but rather the airbox flexing against a grommet that gets hard over time.

I haven't had a chance to try lubing this yet, because the procedure for getting at that part is fairly involved.

Thoughts? Anyone run across anything like this before?
Tracking down noises can be really hard in real life. Tracking down via message board?

But, yeah, sounds like that could it, but without seeing how things out or having heard it, dunno.

Is there room to mount a camera and light? And can you make the noise happen on cue? Force the noise and then review video and audio to see if there is any motion of the airbox that moves in sync witht he sound? Maybe hit the horn or something to add sound right after the squeak in case the squeak isn't audible on the video?

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 04:02 PM   #82
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Tracking down noises can be really hard in real life. Tracking down via message board?

But, yeah, sounds like that could it, but without seeing how things out or having heard it, dunno.

Is there room to mount a camera and light? And can you make the noise happen on cue? Force the noise and then review video and audio to see if there is any motion of the airbox that moves in sync witht he sound? Maybe hit the horn or something to add sound right after the squeak in case the squeak isn't audible on the video?
Maybe? The problem is that getting to the airbox on a Boxster requires putting the top in service mode, removing the Bose subwoofer, and then removing the engine access panel underneath...so as long as I was in there I might as well just lube it up and see if the noise goes away.

Which is probably what I'll do when I have time to take the car apart.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 04:51 PM   #83
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Maybe? The problem is that getting to the airbox on a Boxster requires putting the top in service mode, removing the Bose subwoofer, and then removing the engine access panel underneath...so as long as I was in there I might as well just lube it up and see if the noise goes away.

Which is probably what I'll do when I have time to take the car apart.
Would you be more motivated to do it if you had a high certainty that it was your problem? Or maybe put at a little ease having that certainty? I've occasionally found that knowing what the issue has been enough to be okay with not doing something about it. Not that I'm a model of good behavior, of course.

Sometimes, you can easily see a part, assembly or where two things touch without doing much or anything at all, although it would take tons of work to do something about what you might see.

And I don't really know what those operations entail on a Boxster or where they fall on the difficult to not-difficult-but-PITA spectrum.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 10:57 PM   #84
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
The air filters and engine access panel removals are a PITA but nothing major for the folks on this board. I do recall the 987 air filter was easier than the 981. Caymans are slightly easier for some things as you don't need the "service mode" step for the top.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 04:24 PM   #85
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I'm late to this party, but I don't know that I like the idea of puncturing a ball joint boot. Those ball joint assemblies are packed with grease before being sealed... the grease really shouldn't dry out and it shouldn't run out of grease unless the boot has been compromised.

Not saying the fix discussed on the message board you linked didn't work. It just seems fishy.

My Boxster has made a really odd rattling noise, more often in really cold weather, that I've never been able to track down in 60,000 miles of driving. It drives me nuts. I feel your pain.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 04:27 PM   #86
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I'm late to this party, but I don't know that I like the idea of puncturing a ball joint boot. Those ball joint assemblies are packed with grease before being sealed... the grease really shouldn't dry out and it shouldn't run out of grease unless the boot has been compromised.

Not saying the fix discussed on the message board you linked didn't work. It just seems fishy.

My Boxster has made a really odd rattling noise, more often in really cold weather, that I've never been able to track down in 60,000 miles of driving. It drives me nuts. I feel your pain.
You can pull the retainer clip off. Or replace the boot. I keep a stock of ball joint boots in my toolbox - I got tired of buying new arms for no reason other than a torn boot.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 04:57 PM   #87
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
You can pull the retainer clip off. Or replace the boot. I keep a stock of ball joint boots in my toolbox - I got tired of buying new arms for no reason other than a torn boot.
That assumes you can find a replacement boot. But yeah, if so then that's an option. I've not had luck pulling off those retaining clips without damaging the boot.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 05:11 PM   #88
JST

Quote:

Yeah, I hope I didn't fuck it up in my zeal to do the fix. I did seal it back up with silicone, but who knows if that will hold?
Old 03-11-2021, 08:39 PM   #89
JST

First time I’ve seen the engine from up top; equ was right, it wasn’t that bad. I think I am on the right track with this. Moving the air box def produced a squeaking sound that went away after some shots of lube. But it’s not clear whether this has fixed the problem completely, need to drive it a few more days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8BCF60D5-3A70-4EED-9AEB-E8DF1D0A346E.jpeg
Views:	111
Size:	294.8 KB
ID:	13256  Click image for larger version

Name:	C16FBA51-A5CD-4BEB-9B7C-8537576581C9.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	13257  
Old 03-12-2021, 06:32 AM   #90
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
That assumes you can find a replacement boot. But yeah, if so then that's an option. I've not had luck pulling off those retaining clips without damaging the boot.
https://www.balljointboots.co.uk/

1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote