carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 01-25-2021, 04:30 PM   #11
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
So, i haven't delved into this. But does the Taycan have a hatchback?

Never mind. Finally found some shots of the rear open.

Given that it's not a hatch and only seats four, that really removes a lot of the utility. It is cool looking, but I'd need more flexibility to make it my one and only car. And that's the only way I could swing it.
Same - it'd have to be my only car. Technically I probably dont need a hatch but it would be annoying not having one. Looks like you can option a regular backseat btw. They do have plans to bring out a wagon version called the "Cross turismo". Not sure if I like...certainly doesn't grab me the way the sedan does.
https://www.caranddriver.com/porsche...-cross-turismo
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 04:35 PM   #12
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Same - it'd have to be my only car. Technically I probably dont need a hatch but it would be annoying not having one. Looks like you can option a regular backseat btw. They do have plans to bring out a wagon version called the "Cross turismo". Not sure if I like...certainly doesn't grab me the way the sedan does.
https://www.caranddriver.com/porsche...-cross-turismo
It's a little hard for me to tell how big the cargo space is. If it's roughly the same as the Model 3 (and it looks like it could be), that would be fine even without the hatch.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 04:44 PM   #13
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
It's a little hard for me to tell how big the cargo space is. If it's roughly the same as the Model 3 (and it looks like it could be), that would be fine even without the hatch.
Was trying to figure that out as well. Turns out that the 4S (and below) has more room than the turbo due to a smaller motor (i think). Think its 14 cubic feet plus a 3 cubic foot frunk for 17 total. All the info on the model 3 i found seems to list it as 15 total, so am guessing the trunk alone is about 12-13? Surprisingly, the 3 series now has a 17 cubic foot trunk (was curious so did a quick google search).
Old 01-25-2021, 05:07 PM   #14
JST

Quote:
Was trying to figure that out as well. Turns out that the 4S (and below) has more room than the turbo due to a smaller motor (i think). Think its 14 cubic feet plus a 3 cubic foot frunk for 17 total. All the info on the model 3 i found seems to list it as 15 total, so am guessing the trunk alone is about 12-13? Surprisingly, the 3 series now has a 17 cubic foot trunk (was curious so did a quick google search).
This is really hard for me to believe; idk, maybe it's something about the trunk shapes, but the Tesla's trunk is definitely more usable than the F80's. But maybe the new 3er is bigger?

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...space-storage/
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 05:15 PM   #15
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
This is really hard for me to believe; idk, maybe it's something about the trunk shapes, but the Tesla's trunk is definitely more usable than the F80's. But maybe the new 3er is bigger?

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...space-storage/

Yeah I think the f30/80 trunk is only 13 cubic feet. I’m guessing the Tesla’s flatter floor and wider opening helps as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-25-2021, 05:27 PM   #16
dan
redefined

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
The Electrify America network is coming along pretty well, although its still fairly far behind Tesla's Supercharger network. But at least they are following the same model of multiple chargers (4-12) per station. This is the VW-funded network...

Here's their map: https://www.electrifyamerica.com/loc.../?search=77429
zero locations in Austin
Old 01-25-2021, 05:33 PM   #17
Nick M3
Relic

It’s a lot more interesting to me than a Model S, but I can’t see wanting to spend that much on an appliance.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 05:33 PM   #18
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
zero locations in Austin
Electrify America has a station in Round Rock... These really need to be between cities, not necessarily in cities.

Other networks and independent locations tend to cover the cities. Looks to be ~20 of them in the broader Austin area (Round Rock to a bit south). Some of those are at car dealerships (including one at a Harley dealer...), so not necessarily usable...
Old 01-25-2021, 06:34 PM   #19
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
It’s a lot more interesting to me than a Model S, but I can’t see wanting to spend that much on an appliance.
From all the reviews I've watched and read, it does seem like Porsche has managed to create something that "gives the fizz" and not just another EV appliance. To me, the most interetsing one I watched was a reviewer who specializes in doing range reviews of EVs (not sure how i even ended up watching it). In his Taycan 4s review he was doing a boring "range test" but then at the end started to have some fun with the car. He was like "i'm not a car guy and I'm not rich but I really want this car. There's just something about the way it drives". He owns a Model 3 performance, so he's used to fast EVs. Plenty of mainstream car reviewers seem to be equally enthusiastic about it as well. Personally, I haven't driven one yet so not sure how i'd actually feel about it but it does seem like Porsche may have done this very well.
Old 01-25-2021, 07:27 PM   #20
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
From all the reviews I've watched and read, it does seem like Porsche has managed to create something that "gives the fizz" and not just another EV appliance. To me, the most interetsing one I watched was a reviewer who specializes in doing range reviews of EVs (not sure how i even ended up watching it). In his Taycan 4s review he was doing a boring "range test" but then at the end started to have some fun with the car. He was like "i'm not a car guy and I'm not rich but I really want this car. There's just something about the way it drives". He owns a Model 3 performance, so he's used to fast EVs. Plenty of mainstream car reviewers seem to be equally enthusiastic about it as well. Personally, I haven't driven one yet so not sure how i'd actually feel about it but it does seem like Porsche may have done this very well.
Yeah I have read the same thing but I think Nick's frame of reverence is a bit skewed
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote