carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 01-13-2021, 09:42 AM   #11
SCA
Jaded

BMW has totally lost their way. The “Marketing Bullshit”comment from that E66 is spot on.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:05 AM   #12
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
BMW has totally lost their way. The “Marketing Bullshit”comment from that E66 is spot on.
They built the brand on the back of making good drivers' cars, and now they are just wringing that brand equity to capture all the business they can by pitching their new vapid products as lifestyle consumer products for the mass affluent and those who aspire to be. It may be profitable, but short-sighted, since they will blend with the rest, lose their soul, and eventually (already?) become Lexus. Even their M cars are drifting away.

At least Porsches still drive well. And their GT line is great. There is some merit to their performance/motorsport/driver's car claims when they sell a vanilla 911.
FC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:17 AM   #13
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
They built the brand on the back of making good drivers' cars, and now they are just wringing that brand equity to capture all the business they can by pitching their new vapid products as lifestyle consumer products for the mass affluent and those who aspire to be. It may be profitable, but short-sighted, since they will blend with the rest, lose their soul, and eventually (already?) become Lexus. Even their M cars are drifting away.

At least Porsches still drive well. And their GT line is great. There is some merit to their performance/motorsport/driver's car claims when they sell a vanilla 911.
Frankly, on the mass market/budget car end, Mazda is doing a strong job of hewing to the drivers' car ideal--except, maybe, for the CX-9.

I think we'll see a split among most manufacturers (we already have/are) between the pablum lines and a few edgier, performance models to keep the engineers, marketers, and press happy.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 12:22 PM   #14
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
BMW has totally lost their way.
welcome to 2012
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 03:28 PM   #15
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Frankly, on the mass market/budget car end, Mazda is doing a strong job of hewing to the drivers' car ideal--except, maybe, for the CX-9.

I think we'll see a split among most manufacturers (we already have/are) between the pablum lines and a few edgier, performance models to keep the engineers, marketers, and press happy.
We tested the CX-9 a couple years ago -- and liked it

Its still a big 3-row SUV, but for what it is, its hews to the driver's car ideal about as much as it can... We ended up not looking at it since we really don't need the 3rd row. Too bad that Mazda has a gap in the lineup -- especially since between the CX-3, CX-30 and CX-5, they have 3 similar sized CUVs. The CX-5 should be a 2-row version of the CX-9... and they need to consolidate the CX-3 and CX-30 (and I'm really surprised the 30 didn't just replace the 3...)
Old 01-13-2021, 03:54 PM   #16
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
We tested the CX-9 a couple years ago -- and liked it

Its still a big 3-row SUV, but for what it is, its hews to the driver's car ideal about as much as it can... We ended up not looking at it since we really don't need the 3rd row. Too bad that Mazda has a gap in the lineup -- especially since between the CX-3, CX-30 and CX-5, they have 3 similar sized CUVs. The CX-5 should be a 2-row version of the CX-9... and they need to consolidate the CX-3 and CX-30 (and I'm really surprised the 30 didn't just replace the 3...)
Agreed. Also, they need another engine variant. I might have considered a 5-seater CX-9, if it had had a bigger engine...But the reality is the CX-5 is really a fine size for me, and fits nicely in my garage.

Last edited by wdc330i; 01-13-2021 at 10:40 PM.
Old 01-13-2021, 09:12 PM   #17
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Agreed. Also, they need another engine variant. I might have considered 5-seater CX-9, if it had had a bigger engine...But the reality is the CX-5 is really a fine size for me, and fits nicely in my garage.
Awesome.

My only quibble with the 5 is the lack of back seat leg room. Not an issue in the 9...
Old 01-13-2021, 10:40 PM   #18
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Awesome.

My only quibble with the 5 is the lack of back seat leg room. Not an issue in the 9...
Totally get that. Mostly, it’s my tall kid in the front passenger seat and two dogs in the cargo area. So, back seat space was a lower concern. And it’s still easier to get into the back seat of the 5 than it is in my 2-door convertible.