carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 12-21-2020, 05:07 PM   #21
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
OK, I read more about the ID.4. I'm gonna say no. I drive >40 miles of hwy a day and thanks to COVID those are >75mph miles. I don't think that use case is EV-friendly.

VW is advertising a range of 250 miles for the ID.4. Even at 75+, 40 miles on the highway will use up 60ish miles of range. Plug in at 240V overnight and you should replace that in 2-3 hours... You'd have to be pushing 200 miles per day to have an issue with range...

The range isn't final yet, but I think manufacturers have learned that they need to be realistic in what they advertise so that when the EPA rating comes out that they it is slightly higher (that's what Ford did on the Mach E)...
Old 12-21-2020, 07:57 PM   #22
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post

VW is advertising a range of 250 miles for the ID.4. Even at 75+, 40 miles on the highway will use up 60ish miles of range. Plug in at 240V overnight and you should replace that in 2-3 hours... You'd have to be pushing 200 miles per day to have an issue with range...

The range isn't final yet, but I think manufacturers have learned that they need to be realistic in what they advertise so that when the EPA rating comes out that they it is slightly higher (that's what Ford did on the Mach E)...
I’m not saying it won’t make it. Heck, the eGolf would have made that range if I babied it on cold days. It’s just inefficient.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 08:06 PM   #23
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
I’m not saying it won’t make it. Heck, the eGolf would have made that range if I babied it on cold days. It’s just inefficient.
ZBB and I don't agree often on electric car stuff.

I agree with ZBB. There's no problem here other than whatever you are inventing to make it a problem.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 08:11 PM   #24
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Its still more efficient of a cold day than a GTI...

While I'm not in a cold climate anymore, I did spend 3 years with an EV in one, and my car sat in a concrete cold sink when at work -- so the battery was well below freezing most days when heading home. I used at most an extra 10 mile of range on cold days on my ~45-48 mile commute. And I charged at 120V at home. I never worried about babying it...
Old 12-21-2020, 08:15 PM   #25
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
ZBB and I don't agree often on electric car stuff.

I agree with ZBB. There's no problem here other than whatever you are inventing to make it a problem.
I am not against the idea of an EV. I’ve said it before - I’d like to have an EV again. I already have a MT sedan. But that ID.4 thing is not what I think I want. Nothing is forcing me into swapping the Miata, so I certainly could wait.
Old 12-21-2020, 09:20 PM   #26
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
I am not against the idea of an EV. I’ve said it before - I’d like to have an EV again. I already have a MT sedan. But that ID.4 thing is not what I think I want. Nothing is forcing me into swapping the Miata, so I certainly could wait.
The several comments you made were all directed towards range and efficiency, so I guess I assumed that was the issue you had with it. The car itself leaves me cold, too, but range doesn't factor into it.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 01:23 AM   #27
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
But if you're going to get a GTI, I'd get this one. The leather and sunroof are nice but not worth 4 grand, and I've got a soft spot for white GTIs.

https://www.sheehyspringfieldvw.com/...va-id-39937380
...[/IMG]
NIce car since almost exactly the same as mine

MSRP seems to have gone up but you still should be able to get it for cheaper then that price. Yes cloth is not ideal for dogs and kids but is working for me. I still prefer it over leather.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 07:52 AM   #28
FC
Solving problems

A few thoughts/comments...

We have agreed that an S is good enough and we will live with the seats. We also want white.

You guys have me thinking of an EV now. The idea of getting one to be used heavily in winter is kind of ridiculous, but as I have said many times, I loved having a practical EV for the MANY short errands we do. Also, I still have the charger from the eGolf.

But, I know my wife would love the idea of taking the GTI to visit her parents in Montreal, and this would make a great car for the kids to use in 3-4 years when our oldest gets a license.

I'm still open to the right EV, but the GTI is the plan of record.

Last edited by FC; 12-22-2020 at 08:49 AM.
Old 12-22-2020, 08:40 AM   #29
JST

EV tech is only getting better and cheaper, so there’s no harm in waiting.

I miss having a sunroof but now that I don’t have one in either car I’m fairly used to it. And I don’t miss having to worry about the drains.

And that cloth interior is super cool looking.

It’s a great all around car and is def in the running here too as I start to think about the kids starting to drive.
JST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 08:49 AM   #30
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
It’s a great all around car and is def in the running here too as I start to think about the kids starting to drive.
I've said for years that it is the best value in cardom - especially if you keep the spec simple. You may recall we almost got one for my wife in 2016 and then instead went with the eGolf. Then I almost got one for myself and then went with the M3. So this thing has always been on our radar. I like the idea of having one in the household.

Now with all the bells and whistles I care about (LED lights, perf pkg, LSD) available std on the S trim, it's an even better value.

On the EV front, frankly, I'd get an eGolf again if it had updated batteries and power a la ID.4 (~ 2x the range and power). It would need real tires though.