carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 12-21-2020, 09:58 AM   #1
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
GTI Waffle thread

As I mentioned before, the plan is to replace the Miata with a GTI sometime in 2021. I really do love the Miata, but it is loud in the highway, less safe, and with my wife refusing to drive the M3, a GTI would provide a 5-door car she would be comfortable driving for short errands involving both kids or when more cargo than the Miata offers is needed - which is pretty often.

I could hold on to the Miata as a 4th car, but what is the point of babying a cosmetically imperfect, well-driven Miata? That's what you do with a nice Boxster, which is what I hope to get a couple/few years down the road. I prefer to save the maintenance, space, and money until such time.

On to the GTI. Resale values are dumb, so we will almost certainly go new. It will be MT and will also have to be in a stealthy-ish color since I don't want to call attention in the hwy and I already have an orange M3. I'm thinking Silver, White, or Black (but worry about upkeep and stone chips showing). I'm done with gray cars for a while. (Their smurf-blue "cornflower blue" is fun, but too crazy for us)

But the question is 2021 MK7 or 2022 MK8?

I'm leaning towards MK7 since I expect to get a decent deal in the outgoing model, I hate the idea of not having any buttons, and I don't love the grill (though all black may make it ok). The MK7 is well sorted by now and we loved our MK7 eGolf in terms of looks, ergonomics, and quality feel.

The MK8 is supposed to be an improvement, will have ~15 more hp/lb-ft, and will likely have better tech inside. It's also a 1st/2nd year car.

When do you think would be the best time to get an MK7 if we go that way?

Last edited by FC; 12-21-2020 at 10:12 AM.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 10:08 AM   #2
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
As I mentioned before, the plan is to replace the Miata with a GTI sometime in 2021. I really do love the Miata, but it is loud in the highway, less safe, and with my wife refusing to drive the M3, a GTI would provide a 5-door car she would be comfortable driving for short errands involving both kids or when more cargo than the Miata offers is needed - which is pretty often.

I could hold on to the Miata as a 4th car, but what is the point of babying a cosmetically imperfect, well-driven Miata? That's what you do with a nice Boxster, which is what I hope to get a couple/few years down the road. I prefer to save the maintenance, space, and money until such time.

On to the GTI. Resale values are dumb, so we will almost certainly go new. It will be MT and will also have to be in a stealthy-ish color since I don't want to call attention in the hwy and I already have an orange M3. I'm thinking Silver, White, or Black (but worry about upkeep and stone chips showing). I'm done with gray cars for a while. (Their smurf-blue "cornflower blue" is fun, but too crazy for us)

But the question is 2021 MK7 or 2022 MK8?

I'm leaning towards MK7 since I expect to get a decent deal in the outgoing model, I hate the idea of not having any buttons, and I don't love the grill (though all black may make it ok). The MK7 is well sorted by now and we loved our MK7 eGolf in terms of looks, ergonomics, and quality feel.

The MK8 is supposed to be an improvement, will have ~15 more hp/lb-ft, and will likely have better tech inside. It's also a 12t/2nd year car.

When do you think would be the best time to get an MK7 if we go that way?

It looks like VW was planning Q3 2021 as the launch for the Mk 8 here even before all the corona stuff, so if you want a Mk 7 you have plenty of time (and if you want a Mk 8, you'd probably have to wait at least 8 months).

Spring might be the best time to sell the Miata, but on the other hand we're still on the downward slope of that crazy demand for used cars, so maybe you'd get a decent deal for it now.

I wouldn't worry too much about timing the market. My local VW dealer is showing a healthy inventory of Mk 7 GTIs with "instant internet savings" advertised, so you'd probably get a good deal now. It's all about whether you want to drive the Miata for another winter or not.

EDIT: And I would definitely get a Mark 7 over a Mark 8. The new one is fugly.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 10:13 AM   #3
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
It looks like VW was planning Q3 2021 as the launch for the Mk 8 here even before all the corona stuff, so if you want a Mk 7 you have plenty of time (and if you want a Mk 8, you'd probably have to wait at least 8 months).

Spring might be the best time to sell the Miata, but on the other hand we're still on the downward slope of that crazy demand for used cars, so maybe you'd get a decent deal for it now.

I wouldn't worry too much about timing the market. My local VW dealer is showing a healthy inventory of Mk 7 GTIs with "instant internet savings" advertised, so you'd probably get a good deal now. It's all about whether you want to drive the Miata for another winter or not.

EDIT: And I would definitely get a Mark 7 over a Mark 8. The new one is fugly.
VW is offering 0% for 60 months on the GTI right now but I imagine that sort of deal will be around for a few months, no?

Also, I don't know if the US will get the one-piece front sport seats Europe gets on the MK8, but they are big and bulky and I'd hate the obstructed view as a rear passenger.
Old 12-21-2020, 11:21 AM   #4
JST

Around for a few months? Who knows? Maybe? Probably? But who knows what a few months from now is going to look like, generally?

Honestly, I don't see much reason to wait if the intent is to get a nicer winter car. It's winter now; if you wait a few months the Miata will start making a lot more sense to keep.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 11:28 AM   #5
dan
redefined

whatever you do, get the blue
Old 12-21-2020, 11:29 AM   #6
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
I think I'd rather get the last of decent model car than the first of one built in the time of COVID.

Such is the case with my Mazda. We are coming to the end of the model run. Only change for this year was the bigger screen. And there have been running improvements, including better, quieter glass, etc., for the cabin--addressing customer gripes.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 12:00 PM   #7
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Around for a few months? Who knows? Maybe? Probably? But who knows what a few months from now is going to look like, generally?

Honestly, I don't see much reason to wait if the intent is to get a nicer winter car. It's winter now; if you wait a few months the Miata will start making a lot more sense to keep.
The 0% interest mitigates the risk of having had pulled the trigger a little too soon.
Old 12-21-2020, 12:02 PM   #8
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
whatever you do, get the blue
This blue looks pretty cool and elegant.

Old 12-21-2020, 12:14 PM   #9
dan
redefined

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
This blue looks pretty cool and elegant.
wrong blue.
Old 12-21-2020, 12:32 PM   #10
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
wrong blue.