carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 10-14-2020, 06:00 PM   #31
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
What are the options here? My last track day was in ‘14 at Laguna Seca

On the Montana thing... I used to see a lot of MT and Oregon plates in AZ, especially on exotics. AZ also has a form of property tax on cars (although it’s called a Vehicle License Tax), and its based on the base MSRP of the car when new, then drops about 20% each year...

I think OR was popular since they don’t have sales taxes, so helped on the cost when a car was new.

Not sure how AZ enforced it... was probably pretty lax — although I wouldn’t be surprised if they added a violation of pulled over for speeding or another reason and you handed over an AZ license...

Looks like this outfit does days at COTA in Austin and at Cresson Motorsports Ranch (though that looks to be a lot closer to Dallas).

http://www.edgeaddicts.com/events.html

You could also check out local PCA and BMWCCA chapters, both of whom probably sponsor events.

On the trailer thing, I have NFI, but "intrastate service" to me sounds like a for-hire term, and if you're using your private trailer to tow out of state you wouldn't be "intrastrate" anyway. But IANAtruckingL.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:20 PM   #32
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Realistically, this will probably be the track day that I wind up doing w/ the e46 wagon:

http://www.cnyira.com/

'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:32 PM   #33
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Looks like this outfit does days at COTA in Austin and at Cresson Motorsports Ranch (though that looks to be a lot closer to Dallas).

http://www.edgeaddicts.com/events.html

You could also check out local PCA and BMWCCA chapters, both of whom probably sponsor events.
Thanks. COTA is just over 2 hours from my house. Cresson is just under 4 hours

Then again, I once did a track day at Inde Motorsports Ranch in Wilcox AZ, which was 3.5 hours from my house when we were in Scottsdale (and I took the scenic route home, which was shorter distance, but took about 5 hours)...
Old 10-14-2020, 09:19 PM   #34
dan
redefined

There’s an MSR Houston...
Old 10-14-2020, 09:59 PM   #35
JST

2 hours isn’t bad. 4 hours is tough but not so bad if you have two days. I used to go up to NJ for events, which was about that far.

You can visit the new Tesla factory when you’re up at COTA.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 04:42 PM   #36
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
Realistically, this will probably be the track day that I wind up doing w/ the e46 wagon:

http://www.cnyira.com/

Something I always wanted to do when I lived in Wisconsin.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 11:25 PM   #37
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Did my first track day since 2012 today up at Summit Point. It's mostly like riding a bicycle, except faster and louder and smells more like brake pads and oil. Oh, and maybe it was the power of suggestion, but the car def felt like it was moving around a lot, which made me start thinking about suspension upgrades again.

Anyhoo, it was a nice event, lightly attended with lots of time on the track, and there were a bunch of Ferrari guys there. I haven't paid much attention to the various Ferrari models these days...I find them kind of boring, honestly, and irrelevant to my life. But there was an F12 and an 812 Superfast and an F8 (?) and a few others.

I'll say this about those cars: They sound cool, and they are legitimately not slow, though the other thing I'll say is that a reasonably well driven Boxster can hang with a not-well-driven F8 any place other than the front straight.

Ha ha ha I just looked it up and it's 300K, wtf.

Also one other thing--a Shelby GT350R is faster on its tires than on its roof, and you should be very careful with throttle application on a wet track.

C8 is awkward looking from a lot of angles. And agree. It’s like the size of the Salween S7 car from the 90s? Or the Jaguar XJ220. Weird proportions.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 06:09 AM   #38
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
I’ve seen a handful of C8s now, including one in my neighborhood about 10 doors down...

It’s a weird mix of design. Some angles it looks great, others it looks strange, and many of the details are just over designed and heavy.

I don’t think it looks that big though. I’ve seen a few Salween S7s and Jag XJ220s before (I miss Scottsdale auction week...). The XJ220 is very long, but also not very tall — which makes it look bigger in pics than it is in person (and the cabin is really small in person...). The C8 looks to be taller and wider than the XJ220, and the cabin fits real people... might be fun to compare dimensions with a few other designs...
Old 10-17-2020, 07:38 AM   #39
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
To me the C8 is one of those cars that looks awkward in pictures but is fairly striking in real life. I don't like the tail of the car - the taillights are a mess, the rear wing is a mess, the exhaust tips look like they belong on a 90's Pontiac. The biggest mistake they made, IMO, is all of the factory wheels are awful. With a set of good aftermarket wheels the C8 is fairly transformed and really looks the supercar part.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 03:57 PM   #40
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
To me the C8 is one of those cars that looks awkward in pictures but is fairly striking in real life. I don't like the tail of the car - the taillights are a mess, the rear wing is a mess, the exhaust tips look like they belong on a 90's Pontiac. The biggest mistake they made, IMO, is all of the factory wheels are awful. With a set of good aftermarket wheels the C8 is fairly transformed and really looks the supercar part.

Probably a lot of your critiques are addressed with the Z06 model with Z07 trim.

I understand why they sell the LT2 powered car, but I bet the new V8 makes the car feel “special”.

The data to me says the ZL1 and C7 preowned markets are still hot because people are dawdling until the Z06 shows up (and/or they missed allotment).

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote