carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 07-02-2020, 02:34 PM   #51
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I continue (almost 7 years later) to be totally impressed with the LR4. We drove it packed with two kids, dog, cargo, Thule box, and 4 bikes and it was smooth as silk on the highway. That air suspension is great and made much better with the tires I got (far better than the OEM set). It spends most of its time at under 2krpm, gets to maybe 2.5krpm in the highway and it never feels taxed. In passing, it just drops one gear and the job is done smoothly. If you need to punch it, it is pretty quick for how heavy it is. There really is nothing out there I would consider replacing it with. Ours is probably worth a surprising amount to the right buyer (~$25k? - here's a comp).

If a GLS cost half as much and my wife were willing to got to the back garage to get it to use it, maybe. But since neither will happen, then no.

Yeah they do seem to hold their value well. Plus they just have a classic elegant yet rugged look. I think comparable Range Rover sports are much cheaper for example. Like you said they have a lot of unique qualities - and the v8 paired with the LR4 updates is pretty rare breed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 03:04 PM   #52
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Yeah they do seem to hold their value well. Plus they just have a classic elegant yet rugged look. I think comparable Range Rover sports are much cheaper for example. Like you said they have a lot of unique qualities - and the v8 paired with the LR4 updates is pretty rare breed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, mine in particular has very low miles (<43k) and the extremely rare Heavy Duty pkg (which adds an e-locking rear diff).

Typically, late V8 LR4's go for mid-teens, but they also have 100k miles or more.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 04:46 PM   #53
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
I continue (almost 7 years later) to be totally impressed with the LR4.
Some cars are just so good there is no reason to replace them ...

Quote:

If a GLS cost half as much and my wife were willing to got to the back garage to get it to use it, maybe. But since neither will happen, then no.
The problem with the new GLS is the center console has these ridiculous grab handles which makes you feel very enclosed in when sitting in the front seats.

We were going to wait for the new model when we got the Q7 and when we went to MB dealer and sat in the new GLE which has the same grab handles we didn’t even want to test drive either the GLE or wait for the GLS to arrive.

The GLS is not priced as high as you might think unless you go with the GLS580.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 06:11 PM   #54
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
We were going to wait for the new model when we got the Q7 and when we went to MB dealer and sat in the new GLE which has the same grab handles we didn’t even want to test drive either the GLE or wait for the GLS to arrive.

The GLS is not priced as high as you might think unless you go with the GLS580.
My sister just got a new Q7. Looks nice, but feels small. I have to say, I appreciate that vehicles are offering roomier 2nd rows, but I feel it is coming at the price of cargo space (and by extension less roomy/useful 3rd rows).

As for the GLS, last time I drove one was back in '09. I just like MB SUV's. And I have an strange desire to at some point own a black Mercedes again. In terms of cost, it starts at $76k. (The GLS580 srtars at $100k) Our LR4, virtually fully loaded was ~$60k.

Just built a GLS450 and picking very few options it was $81k. And holy crap do they have a lot of fancy stuff.
Old 07-03-2020, 05:14 AM   #55
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
My sister just got a new Q7. Looks nice, but feels small. I have to say, I appreciate that vehicles are offering roomier 2nd rows, but I feel it is coming at the price of cargo space (and by extension less roomy/useful 3rd rows).

As for the GLS, last time I drove one was back in '09. I just like MB SUV's. And I have an strange desire to at some point own a black Mercedes again. In terms of cost, it starts at $76k. (The GLS580 srtars at $100k) Our LR4, virtually fully loaded was ~$60k.

Just built a GLS450 and picking very few options it was $81k. And holy crap do they have a lot of fancy stuff.

I think the size thing kind of depends on your kids ages, we are at the point having 2 out of my 3 kids in their 20’s where the Q7 is borderline too big though compared to the GL450’s we had (2009, 2011 and 2014) it is no doubt smaller.

Another strange thing is Audi debadge’s there Q7 so you could have identical looking cars where one has the 4 cylinder engine and one has the 6 cylinder engine with quite a variation in msrp’s and you would have no clue when looking at the car which model is which.

Not that most people care, sh*t it’s just another SUV on the road.

When we priced out the GLS I believe we were at $80k or $81k which was about $10k higher then our Q7.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 12:43 PM   #56
FC
Solving problems

This I did not know...

Ford announces Bronco will be a brand, not just an SUV

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/07/06/...and-announced/

There will be three models? Will there be a convertible 4-door?
Old 07-06-2020, 01:15 PM   #57
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
This I did not know...

2 and 4 door real bronco plus crossover bronco sport. I have been trying to avoid the bronco sport news
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 01:44 PM   #58
JST

Quote:
This I did not know...

Yes, there will be a convertible 4 door, but the three models ppl are talking about are 2 dr, 4 dr, and Sport (i.e., Escape-based crossover).
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 01:51 PM   #59
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Yes, there will be a convertible 4 door, but the three models ppl are talking about are 2 dr, 4 dr, and Sport (i.e., Escape-based crossover).
The Bronco Mustang Mach 1 OJ Escape Special Edition?

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 01:59 PM   #60
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
The Bronco Mustang Mach 1 OJ Escape Special Edition?
People on Bronco boards are talking about something called the Warthog. Idk what that is, but it sounds like the Bronco version of the Raptor?

Anyway, here are screen grabs from the video released today.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threa...-schools.1586/
JST is offline   Reply With Quote