carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 06-30-2020, 11:48 PM   #21
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
I often find myself actively wondering why I want to spend money for a enjoyable car when circumstances will prevent me from ever enjoying it. Except when I was commuting in the old NA Miata and constantly thought, why do I need to spend more? Everything "better" is going to suck.
That's where I'm at with the Miata. I often think my upgrade should just be to an ND.
FC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 12:02 AM   #22
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
That's where I'm at with the Miata. I often think my upgrade should just be to an ND.
We know that my purposes are different than yours, but I'm seriously thinking about three cars. Camaro SS 1LE, C7 GS, and ND2. If the ND2 had a V8-like exhaust, it would stand a much better chance.

I should also define "enjoyable" better than I did above. For a car that's going to spend its time moving you from here to there and not being enjoyed from a "driving" perspective, 18zillion way seats, tactile sensations, interior quality, multi-zone climate systems, 80thousand speakers, environmental isolation, and all that kind of stuff become infinitely more important in the ownership equation because those are the things you get to enjoy while driving it.

Maybe Porsche does know what it's doing...

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 04:34 AM   #23
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Absolutely...except for the tires part, sorta, because it's such an easy/low cost problem to fix. Brand new take offs for cars like these tend to go for nearly new type money and you can put on whatever you want instead. If it's a lease, you buy some used wheels (with or without tires) and go. At lease end, you put the originals back on and done.
Yes and no.

The GT4 is not a miata or even a regular ass boxster. I thought hard back in 2015 if I was going to run a separate set of street tires for the GT4, MPSS being the choice du jour. A set of 20's, tpms and porsche rims that don't let that car down, you're looking at $4 to 5k. I was fine with buying a $100k car that holds value, I'm not fine spending high running costs.

I didn't go to the trouble for the very few miles I did. If I had committed to the car, I would have needed to. You're not even supposed to *store* the MPSC2 in an unheated location. And to get your money back or sell a used car for more than MSRP, it'd better be perfect. All in all, the GT4 slot opening delayed my entry to "normal" 981 by nearly a year.

Today, I'm fine having two sets of tires/wheels for all three of our cars, I now have the storage space (though still unheated so I couldn't store MPSC2 over winter) and those extra sets are not worth crazy sums of money.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 07:29 AM   #24
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Yes and no.

The GT4 is not a miata or even a regular ass boxster. I thought hard back in 2015 if I was going to run a separate set of street tires for the GT4, MPSS being the choice du jour. A set of 20's, tpms and porsche rims that don't let that car down, you're looking at $4 to 5k. I was fine with buying a $100k car that holds value, I'm not fine spending high running costs.
I forgot to include the part about selling the second set of wheels after. If the ones you buy are used, you're likely to get back about what you paid, plus or minus a little.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 12:58 PM   #25
lip277
The old cranky SOB....

Carmudgeonly Ride: several cars... way too many....
All these discussions make me smile - I see no reason to part with my 997.1 any time soon.
For what it is - does 100% of what I ask. And, now with over 135k on the clock - has never let me down (only thing I've had to do is change the battery).

Oh - get this... too funny...
A couple of years ago I had a feeling the battery was getting a bit weak, so I stopped by my mechanic's shop to see how a new battery would work... ($$, time, effort and the like). I get the info and go back to the car. Yep - Right there in the lot, the battery died. NOT a peep out of the starter. No problem in radio and accessories and such - but would not pull current for starting the engine.

So - Guess what I went home with. LOL

1970 2800CS - - 2001 740iL - - 2006 997.1 - - 2012 Escalade
1968 Mustang GT Convertible - - 2003 Ford F250 PSD - - 1985 728i
lip277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 01:11 PM   #26
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by lip277 View Post
All these discussions make me smile - I see no reason to part with my 997.1 any time soon.
For what it is - does 100% of what I ask. And, now with over 135k on the clock - has never let me down (only thing I've had to do is change the battery).

Oh - get this... too funny...
A couple of years ago I had a feeling the battery was getting a bit weak, so I stopped by my mechanic's shop to see how a new battery would work... ($$, time, effort and the like). I get the info and go back to the car. Yep - Right there in the lot, the battery died. NOT a peep out of the starter. No problem in radio and accessories and such - but would not pull current for starting the engine.

So - Guess what I went home with. LOL
LOL. Best place for it to happen though. Btw I see you stalking that 01 6spd manual conversion 7 series on BaT. =)
Old 07-01-2020, 04:46 PM   #27
lip277
The old cranky SOB....

Carmudgeonly Ride: several cars... way too many....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
LOL. Best place for it to happen though. Btw I see you stalking that 01 6spd manual conversion 7 series on BaT. =)
Yeah - those conversions have always interested me. Trouble is that for me, as a second car for the wife, a manual won't work.
As a stand along play thing - sure - but... LOL I have enough of those already.

1970 2800CS - - 2001 740iL - - 2006 997.1 - - 2012 Escalade
1968 Mustang GT Convertible - - 2003 Ford F250 PSD - - 1985 728i
lip277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 11:21 PM   #28
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
We know that my purposes are different than yours, but I'm seriously thinking about three cars. Camaro SS 1LE, C7 GS, and ND2. If the ND2 had a V8-like exhaust, it would stand a much better chance.

I should also define "enjoyable" better than I did above. For a car that's going to spend its time moving you from here to there and not being enjoyed from a "driving" perspective, 18zillion way seats, tactile sensations, interior quality, multi-zone climate systems, 80thousand speakers, environmental isolation, and all that kind of stuff become infinitely more important in the ownership equation because those are the things you get to enjoy while driving it.

Maybe Porsche does know what it's doing...

New MX5 with less weight and even better motor sounds amazing.

Only Porsche and Mazda seem to engineer weight control into their cars.

lemming is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 11:47 AM   #29
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
I had this saved as a favorite and saw it again. Pretty interesting gearing comparison between 718 Porsches: S/GTS 4.0/GT4

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-foru...omparison.html
FC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 12:20 PM   #30
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
I just read the C&D review of the GT4(plus mini article on GTS) and I would go GTS too. GT4 doesnt sound too street friendly as it should be since in theory track special.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote