carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 06-12-2020, 02:47 PM   #11
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
This sounds very complicated so quick story ... the 2019 Cayman I bought had 1200 miles, the carfax showed 1500 miles one day after a 1200 mile entry, I asked the dealer how many miles are on the car and how did the car have 300 miles put on it in one day, they said the car only has 1200 miles, I went and saw the car and it indeed had 1200 miles ...

Bought the car, the carfax was corrected by the dealer within a few days and I had the new carfax showing the correct miles.

I know there was no foul play, who cares about a car with that little miles having 1200 or 1500 either would have been fine with me ...

So in other word carfax can be wrong
Sure, Carfax can be wrong, but a 300 mile discrepancy within a few days of correct entries all in a single geographic area will be seen as an innocent mistake, if it's even noticed.

10k error over a significant period of time in multiple states sings a different story.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 06:24 PM   #12
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Sure, Carfax can be wrong, but a 300 mile discrepancy within a few days of correct entries all in a single geographic area will be seen as an innocent mistake, if it's even noticed.

10k error over a significant period of time in multiple states sings a different story.
Definitely true, I did not realize it was over a large period of time, maybe you posted that, I kinda read your post quickly ... can you post the carfax or a link to it ?
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 09:07 PM   #13
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Unless it was a really unique car, if they were a pain in the ass about any of that I'd walk, because who has the time for this shit.
Old 06-12-2020, 11:37 PM   #14
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Definitely true, I did not realize it was over a large period of time, maybe you posted that, I kinda read your post quickly ... can you post the carfax or a link to it ?
To be clear(er?), the period of time I'm talking about has not happened yet. The 36k entry on the Carfax was Wednesday.

The dealer should not have a problem getting that fixed (like you experienced).

If Carfax is the only place where the mileage was recorded wrong and the dealer gets it fixed with Carfax, that's the end of the problem.

If the mileage was recorded wrong in other places (specifically: what was sent to Florida DMV) the current Carfax entry is the least of the problems the buyer will probably encounter because what the state sees and gets attached to the car's paperwork will not match the car's actual mileage. That creates problems in itself. Plus, those differences will eventually come back to Carfax in the future and will not be fixable.

Because the dealer's website and all of their advertising lists the same incorrect Carfax mileage, I believe it's highly probable that the same error exists in what info was sent to the state.

Anyway, links:

Car: https://www.dyerchevyftpierce.com/Ve...-FL/4589761103

Carfax: https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...o=%27carfax%27

Photo 22 of 24 shows the correct odometer reading.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 06-12-2020, 11:38 PM   #15
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
You passed right? There should be more cars on the market soon. If this recession lasts.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 08:29 AM   #16
kognito
older fart than ZBB

If it was fat fingered, which looks like it was, would it also adversely effect CPO coverage?
Old 06-13-2020, 10:48 AM   #17
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
If it was fat fingered, which looks like it was, would it also adversely effect CPO coverage?
Good question. Want to buy it and find out? No? Me neither.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 06-13-2020, 10:54 AM   #18
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
You passed right? There should be more cars on the market soon. If this recession lasts.
I passed.

Curious to see how long it takes to sell.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?