carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 03-26-2020, 10:49 PM   #101
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Unfortunately, that makes sound business sense.
For them, maybe. Not for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
In the coming months, this might be more common:

https://www.swapalease.com/mobile/le...?salid=1323712
Perhaps? Would depend on a lot of details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Mostly, it's kicking myself for not acting earlier when I knew I should have.
In another "I should have..."

Chevy has offered substantial conquest rebates to Mustang owners since early 2017. It's typically $2,000, but has been $3250 for 2020 Camaros (and $3750 for 2019s) since February. The current offer expires 3/31, but since it's been continuous for almost three years, I'd expect it to continue. The value may go down, but maybe (probably?) not anytime soon.

It now looks like I'm going to buy a friend's Mustang track car so I can title it and 30 days later, qualify for the rebate (assuming it still exists).

Just a few potential gotchas:
  • Maryland MVA branch offices and the "Customer Service Center" are closed, so, not sure how long it might take to get a title in my name or waht the "date issued" will be.
  • If MVA is open behind the scenes and processing titles, I'm not sure how I get them to process mine. Guess I'll be calling a tag & title shop in the morning.
  • Not 100% on what's required to "prove" ownership for the rebate. I can't find the fine print online anywhere to rule out any a limitations like it has to be registered, no more than X years old, etc and no Google searches have led me to anyone claiming that "jsut a title" was enough or "they wanted title and odometer reading" or something.

It will cost about $150 to get the title (plus title service fee?), so in the worst case it should not be an expensive mistake to try.

This, like selling the car, is something I should have acted on earlier and knew it. So, rather than find myself another 30+ days in the future without having bought anything yet, I'm going to try to fix it.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:50 AM   #102
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Another option that I foresee: GM will unleash Friends and Family discounting which could better any other discounts—

So that’s a backup plan if the Mustang conquest thing falls through.

They have weird rules about which discounts you can combine.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 12:25 PM   #103
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Just a few potential gotchas:
  • Maryland MVA branch offices and the "Customer Service Center" are closed, so, not sure how long it might take to get a title in my name or waht the "date issued" will be.
  • If MVA is open behind the scenes and processing titles, I'm not sure how I get them to process mine. Guess I'll be calling a tag & title shop in the morning.
Answers to these questions: MVA is operating slowly on non-customer facing operations. They are processing title work submitted by dealers and tag & title companies. The title company I spoke with says MVA seems to be moving slower than normal, but they are getting work done.

Wrench in my plans and a learned lesson in late night quarantine quickie transactions. I forgot to ask beforehand or check at the time if the title had a lien and, if so, a lien release document.

My friend never titled it. The title he had was signed by the original owner, but has lien info on it and he did not have (and never got) the Security Interest Filing document releasing the lien. Original owner (also a friend) is currently looking for it. If he can't find it, he can get a special letter from his lender or a duplicate title from MD and sign that over to me.

So, I'm delayed a bit, but not sure how much yet.

Quote:
Another option that I foresee: GM will unleash Friends and Family discounting which could better any other discounts—

So that’s a backup plan if the Mustang conquest thing falls through.

They have weird rules about which discounts you can combine.
Friends and family pricing wasn't that great in January and February. I have access to it, but I could do better on my own. Even employee pricing wasn't terrific. Depending on the circumstances, I could have access to it.

Looks like they aren't offering 0% on Camaros now. I know it wasn't part of the original announcement, but could have sworn I saw them applying it to the Camaro a couple days later. It was not stackable with the Mustang conquest rebate, but it was there.

Until I resolve the Mustang title, it doesn't really matter.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 03-28-2020, 12:53 PM   #104
JST

What’s the deal on the mustang track car? Curious about that.

To get the rebate do you have to trade the car in?
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 01:59 PM   #105
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
What’s the deal on the mustang track car? Curious about that.

To get the rebate do you have to trade the car in?
Second question first, no. Trade/sale not required unless it's an employee purchase program deal. I still haven't seen the fine print, but the big print reads:
Offer applies to customers who currently own or lease a Ford Mustang. Competitive owners are not required to trade in their qualifying vehicle unless the vehicle is being delivered under the GM employee purchase program. Offer is available on finance deals only. Customer must have owned/leased the Ford Mustang for a minimum of 30 days prior to the sale of the new vehicle. For deliveries under those programs, the customer must have a competitive lease with a scheduled end date withing 365 days of the delivery date of the new vehicle. This offer can be transferred to individuals residing in the same household.
The Mustang story...

Friend 1 bought a lightly used 2005 Mustang in 2005 (I was mistaken about him being the original owner). Friend 1 sold/gave the car and a signed title to Friend 2 in 2015. Friend 2 never did anything with the title because it was never going to be used on the street.

By the time Friend 2 got it, it was already halfway gutted for CP and I don't think it had been driven on the street in the previous two years. When Friend 2 got it, he immediately got to work on it, but changed directions from CP autocross to track only.

Because of how liens are recorded and released in MD, it's just some extra paperwork. The lienholder should have sent Friend 1 a document when the loan was paid off and Friend 1 should have given that document to Friend 2 with the title, but did not. To title it in my name, I need 1) that document, 2) a signed letter from the lienholder to Friend 1 on company letterhead saying the lien was satisfied, or 3) Friend 1 to get a duplicate title from MVA without the lien info.

He just texted that he doesn't know where the document is or if he still has it. Option 2 is a phone call or online request. Option 3 would require him to leave the house and interact with people (at a tag & title company since MVA is closed to the public). So, we're going with Option 2. (I'm not asking anyone to go outside for this and if he offered, I'd ask him not to.)

This gambit has some risks:
  • Will the title be enough?
  • Does the Mustang actually have to tagged?
  • Will events conspire to force a purchase before the 30 day clock expires?
  • Will events lead me to purchase a car where the rebate will not apply?
  • Will the conquest rebate be active when I buy

At worst, I think I'd be out about $200. For a potential $3k savings, I'm good with that.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 03-28-2020, 02:28 PM   #106
JST

But what are you going to do with the Mustang?
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 02:36 PM   #107
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
But what are you going to do with the Mustang?
It seemed quite happy in Friend 2's garage.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 03-29-2020, 07:20 PM   #108
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
It seemed quite happy in Friend 2's garage.

My god. I hope this gambit works.

Old 03-29-2020, 07:48 PM   #109
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
My god. I hope this gambit works.
Me, too, but there's not a lot of downside (other than potentially contracting a bad case of C19 traceable to activities around the title docs).

No matter how things go, the car stuff will be fine or better.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 03-29-2020, 09:33 PM   #110
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Me, too, but there's not a lot of downside (other than potentially contracting a bad case of C19 traceable to activities around the title docs).

No matter how things go, the car stuff will be fine or better.
If you do this transaction during the shelters in place and And get it done it will have to be chronicled by Doug DeMuro or something.