carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 02-26-2020, 04:38 PM   #1601
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Ha was kinda curious as to whether it sucked or not. On paper it seemed like it might make a decent commuter lease type car. GUess not. Seems like the upcoming X5 45e is the first BMW plug-in to offer decent range (around 40 miles IIRC). Plus they ditched the 4 cyl and are using an inline 6 w/ it.
I looked into smaller plug-in hybrid German SUV's and they all have or will have 30-40 mi range. That's pretty reasonable.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:11 PM   #1602
JST

Quote:
Ha was kinda curious as to whether it sucked or not. On paper it seemed like it might make a decent commuter lease type car. GUess not. Seems like the upcoming X5 45e is the first BMW plug-in to offer decent range (around 40 miles IIRC). Plus they ditched the 4 cyl and are using an inline 6 w/ it.
Yes, the 4 cylinder is pretty unpleasant---especially when it kicks in after miles of driving just on the electric motor.

For me, the problem with something like this as a commuter is that the Model Y is just around the corner; it would be a better commuter. And it's a lot cheaper for equivalent performance. The 530e, optioned like my loaner, is a $63K car. That's basically the top end of the Model Y. A long range, non-Performance example is much less.

I know they are very different cars, and the 530 feels expensive in a way I'm sure the Model Y doesn't. But at the same time, the 530e feels like a car that's caught between two worlds, and isn't much good in either.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 07:28 AM   #1603
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Not surprised.. Another annoying thing about PHEV is that you have to plug them in AND buy gas. Hopefully you do not much of one (the latter, say in the case of the Volt, people raved about them), but still that's two ways to feed the monster...
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 08:56 AM   #1604
JST

It’s 13 miles fully charged.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:12 AM   #1605
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
It’s 13 miles fully charged.
What's your round trip commute mileage?

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:58 AM   #1606
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Not surprised.. Another annoying thing about PHEV is that you have to plug them in AND buy gas. Hopefully you do not much of one (the latter, say in the case of the Volt, people raved about them), but still that's two ways to feed the monster...

To me that’s a feature not a bug. When done right (like the volt), you never use gas on a daily commute basis. But then when you need to take longer trips you have the speed and convenience that gas offers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 10:11 AM   #1607
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
To me that’s a feature not a bug. When done right (like the volt), you never use gas on a daily commute basis. But then when you need to take longer trips you have the speed and convenience that gas offers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree.

Also agree with equ in the context of cars that don't have enough battery power to get through (or nearly through) a normal day.

I asked JST what his normal round trip commute is because I think it's under 13 miles (if it's more, it's not much more). In his use case, that car could work (also assuming it could fully charge each night) well in equ's model (plug in every day, hardly ever having to fill the tank).

My round trip commute is about 33 miles. The car wouldn't work for me in the model since I'd have to plug in every day and put gas in the tank often. The Volt would work well, though. With a 38 mile electric range, I'd only be plugging in every night and skipping the gas station except on very odd occasions and thus provide me the best of both current worlds while also minimizing if not eliminating the worst of them.

There's nothing wrong with PHEVs. Well, certainly much less wrong with them than half-assed implementations or insistence on trying to make square pegs fit round holes.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 03:26 PM   #1608
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550

It warmed up enough that I was able to finally wash the X5 yesterday - for the first time since we got it the day before thanksgiving (yikes!! but have taken it to a touch less car wash a few times during the winter so it’s not THAT bad!)

We also picked up a 2nd car last week, we’ve had one car for a while since we were living in the city. 2017 340i xdrive, 36k miles, M Sport, CPO, local car and good history.
Old 03-09-2020, 03:28 PM   #1609
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post

It warmed up enough that I was able to finally wash the X5 yesterday - for the first time since we got it the day before thanksgiving (yikes!! but have taken it to a touch less car wash a few times during the winter so it’s not THAT bad!)

We also picked up a 2nd car last week, we’ve had one car for a while since we were living in the city. 2017 340i xdrive, 36k miles, M Sport, CPO, local car and good history.
Nice. Good mix. Congrats!
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 03:45 PM   #1610
Alan
Carmudgeon

Cars both look great, we have the same 340 ... it's a great car ... also the house looks great !!
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote