carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 02-20-2020, 01:19 PM   #11
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
That’s exactly the kind of car you lease because otherwise you’d lose your shirt on resale value with all of those options! Also, BMW had really strong lease programs on wagons in the last year or two so it was probably reasonably cheap. Quite pricey right now though!
Old 02-20-2020, 01:26 PM   #12
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
That’s exactly the kind of car you lease because otherwise you’d lose your shirt on resale value with all of those options! Also, BMW had really strong lease programs on wagons in the last year or two so it was probably reasonably cheap. Quite pricey right now though!
Yes, it certainly is. Interesting about the incentives.

So, my research is strongly suggesting it was an executive lease for one of the BMW folks at the Lower Nazareth RDC...Bet they got an even sweeter lease deal, and that may also account for the shorter than usual lease term...
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 02:18 PM   #13
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Yes, it certainly is. Interesting about the incentives.

So, my research is strongly suggesting it was an executive lease for one of the BMW folks at the Lower Nazareth RDC...Bet they got an even sweeter lease deal, and that may also account for the shorter than usual lease term...
Makes sense. Possibly a dealership employee?
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 02:20 PM   #14
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
Good point. I woudln't surprised if this is the highest MSRP 4 cylinder 3 series they ever sold in the US.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 02:53 PM   #15
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Carfax says it was a lease. Strange. Perhaps an executive car? But usually, they say that. Leased in Quakertown, Pa., for a year and a half, which is also strange...https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...8K3C58JA483879

This entry in the CarFax is interesting: "Vehicle Manufacturer Pennsylvania"

01/27/2020
Auto Auction
Pennsylvania
Vehicle sold

01/30/2020
Vehicle Manufacturer
Pennsylvania
Vehicle sold

02/05/2020
BMW Certified Dealer
Ridgefield, CT
Offered for sale as a
- BMW Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle

Hmmm:
BMW of North America's Corporate Headquarters is located in Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey. Its Eastern Regional Headquarters and Technical Training Center is located in Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey. A Vehicle Preparation Center is in Port Jersey, NJ and a Regional Distribution Center is in Nazareth, PA.
Way back in 1988 I bought a car with a similar past. The car I bought was my (loaded to the gills) 1988 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z. The car had been ordered, and first "leased" to a Dodge Service Rep (drove around to dealers in his service area, working on warranty claims that needed higher up approval)

This might be some exec's car. Back then, Dodge would only allow 4-5K miles on them, then they were sold as "executive demo's"
Old 02-20-2020, 02:55 PM   #16
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
Way back in 1988 I bought a car with a similar past. The car I bought was my (loaded to the gills) 1988 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z. The car had been ordered, and first "leased" to a Dodge Service Rep (drove around to dealers in his service area, working on warranty claims that needed higher up approval)

This might be some exec's car. Back then, Dodge would only allow 4-5K miles on them, then they were sold as "executive demo's"
Seems like they'd have to know how to pull some company strings to get all the special options--not just the special order color, but as Rob points out, that leather-wrapped dash. If my life weren't so complicated right now, I'd just say WTF and buy the thing.
Old 02-20-2020, 03:05 PM   #17
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Seems like they'd have to know how to pull some company strings to get all the special options--not just the special order color, but as Rob points out, that leather-wrapped dash. If my life weren't so complicated right now, I'd just say WTF and buy the thing.
Yeah, my Daytona had a factory installed alarm AND DISABLE kit that was not able to be purchased (yet) I worked at a Dodge dealer when I bought it, and the alarm kit was offered for sale about 5 months after I bought my "used" new car. It also had an in dash AM/FM Cassette player w/EQ, and a console mounted CD changer (also something that was "new" for Dodge, their first CD changer).

Pretty sure when I sold the car I forgot to unload the CD changer, had jewel cases for 5 "missing" CD's
Old 02-20-2020, 03:11 PM   #18
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
Pretty sure when I sold the car I forgot to unload the CD changer, had jewel cases for 5 "missing" CD's
I quickly read this as "5 missing Jewel CDs" and thought, oh the poor person that bought the car from you and turned on the radio for the first time.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 03:24 PM   #19
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Not sure if the expanded "many-corn" trend will continue, but with BaT and all resale might not be too bad on this down the road... All depends if BMW reintroduces wagons to the line up.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 03:28 PM   #20
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Not sure if the expanded "many-corn" trend will continue, but with BaT and all resale might not be too bad on this down the road... All depends if BMW reintroduces wagons to the line up.
It seems like something Enthusiast should snap up.