carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 01-20-2020, 04:36 PM   #31
Alan
Carmudgeon

Any link to the ad ? Honda’s are great and very reliable so overall I think it is a great choice plus that 6 cylinder is a great engine.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 05:40 PM   #32
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
I came to terms with a guy today on a 181k mile 2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6. Original owner. The seller exudes a trustworthy vibe. Some subsequent Googling led to info that strengthens that impression.

It sounds like the car was used by his wife for a daily 65 mile RT commute until two months ago when the wife got a new car. It sounds and appears to have been well maintained. He did not have all service records together, but was pretty sure he could get them from the indy shop that's done all the work on the car since new (other than Honda recalls done at dealer) before we close the sale tomorrow. He volunteered that the car was in two minor fender benders (that don't show on Carfax) and I couldn't really see the repair work without it being pointed out. Even then, meh.

The one slight concern is that there's a bit of oil film on the pan and the front of the engine. Looks like it may be coming out somewhere near the top. Looks like a couple common-ish things it could be that are all pretty cheap and easy to take care of. Could be worse, or multiple leaks, though. But it's also a cheap 181k mile car, so... <shrug> OTOH, there were no oil stains in the driveway or on the street in front of the house. The garage had enough stuff that looked undisturbed that my guess is they haven't parked a car in there in many years.

The interior is about as spotless looking at 10 year old Honda leather car look. After seeing lots of pics of high mileage Accords with leather, I don't think it's a bold statement to say Honda uses some really crummy leather that does not hold up to use and doe not age particularly well. The leather on the driver seat has some noticeable cracking, but no gaping holes like almost all the others I've seen. The passenger seat is in better shape, but doesn't look great. The back seats, which he said have almost never been used, look fine. Otherwise, "clean" is the only word that comes to mind. Even the rubberized soft touch plastic stuff looked and felt like it was in good shape.

A big plus is that the car has a current MD Used Car Inspection. Maryland requires a used car to pass a pretty thorough safety inspection before they'll tag it. It's not a PPI, and the tech doing the inspection has a lot of latitude on most items, but A) it's not a joke like some states' "safety inspections" and B) since it's done, I don't have to do it and won't be on the hook for any repairs before it can be tagged. The one thing the seller had to do was replace one of the foglight assemblies since the alignment mechanism was busted.

I guess we'll see what happens, but with a little luck, we'll have the car here and tagged by Wednesday evening.
Have the airbag recalls been done? That would be my only concern. It seems the few fatalities from Takata airbags have been in Hondas. BTW, I had a V6 Honda Accord coupe. Probably a 2005 or so, though. It had a lot of squeaks and rattles, and yes, really crummy leather. But, I’m sure those cars were otherwise bulletproof, because I still seem them on the road.

Last edited by wdc330i; 01-20-2020 at 06:25 PM.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 05:59 PM   #33
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Any link to the ad ? Honda’s are great and very reliable so overall I think it is a great choice plus that 6 cylinder is a great engine.
He marked the listing as "sold" about the time I got home and it looks like it's fully down, now. Pics from the listing are attached. The text of the listing (people aren't very descriptive when listing stuff on FB):

"Seller's Description

2008 Honda Accord EXL. Timing belt replaced, new radiator, all maintenance done locally @ Auto Tech in Bowie. Very good condition, normal wear, passed Maryland State Inspection 11/13/2019. Blue Book is $4,280-$5,731, asking price $4,370.00"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Have the airbag recalls been done? That would be my only concern. It seems the few fatalities from Tamara airbags have been in Hondas. BTW, I had a V6 Honda Accord coupe. Probably a 2005 or so, though. It had a lot of squeaks and rattles, and yes, really crummy leather. But, I’m sure those cars were otherwise bulletproof, because I still seem them on the road.
Airbag recalls are done. A mechanic friend at a shop that works on almost everything (from shitbox million year old Tercels to nearly brand new exotics) says they get about as many V6s as 4 cylinders from these generations of engines, which suggests the V6s aren't quite as bulletproof as the 4 bangers. But like ZBB pointed out, the car only has to last so long to be a successful purchase.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	accord1.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	12573  Click image for larger version

Name:	accord2.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	12574  Click image for larger version

Name:	accord3.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	12575  Click image for larger version

Name:	accord4.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	12576  Click image for larger version

Name:	accord5.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	12577  

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 07:00 PM   #34
Alan
Carmudgeon

Wooo ... I like that car a lot ... I am a big fan of the Honda Accord and love that color combo ... that is really exciting ... you’ve got to feel good ... you’ve got one lucky kid !!
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 07:04 PM   #35
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Wooo ... I like that car a lot ... I am a big fan of the Honda Accord and love that color combo ... that is really exciting ... you’ve got to feel good ... you’ve got one lucky kid !!
Thanks, Alan! Complete 180 from this point 24 hours ago when I was stressing that I wasn't going to find anything I was comfortable with to having a deal in place that I'm highly confident in.

And it's two lucky kids! The older one will be the primary driver of it until late summer/early fall when she leaves for school...and then the younger one a few weeks later when she gets her license.

When they're both in town after that...it's up to them to fight it out. Curious how that will go.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 01-20-2020, 07:48 PM   #36
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Sweet! looks sharp!
Old 01-20-2020, 08:33 PM   #37
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Congrats. Looks like a good score. Fwiw, we had an 08 mdx and the leather was really bad too.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 06:43 AM   #38
ff

Nice purchase!
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 12:23 PM   #39
GimpyMcFarlan
Confused

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2013 X3 Gray/Mojave
Excellent find, Clyde! 👍🏻
Old 01-21-2020, 10:39 PM   #40
clyde
Chief title editor

Title and keys (and a bunch of service records) in hand. Tags and a drive home tomorrow!

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?