carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 11-26-2019, 08:04 PM   #21
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
My slab was not reinforced, but it is 8" deep and made of 4000psi concrete. I also was OCD about keeping it wet during the curing process. Well, the first week (~90% cure). It will technically asymptotically cure for a bunch of years.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 08:17 PM   #22
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
My slab is barely adequate for a two-post lift. It was poured in 1986 and most but not all of the holes had adequate depth for the anchors.

Everything I put on it is relatively light, though, and I have a cross-bar for the top of the lift posts that certainly helps a lot.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 10:16 PM   #23
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Thanks for the responses guys, I don’t need to walk under it. This weekend i’m going to have to take a look at the attic over the garage to see how much room I have to build up.
Are you sure that raising the ceiling height will be easy? It often takes ripping off the roof, replacing all the trusswork, etc, and putting a new roof back on. It won't necessarily take all that, but until you have someone that knows what they're doing take a look...

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 04:15 PM   #24
jpgurl
Carmudgeon

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 MACH-E; '74 Austin Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Are you sure that raising the ceiling height will be easy? It often takes ripping off the roof, replacing all the trusswork, etc, and putting a new roof back on. It won't necessarily take all that, but until you have someone that knows what they're doing take a look...

That’s what we had to do. But they were able to remove the existing trusses, extend the wall height, and then reinstall the same trusses.
jpgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 04:36 PM   #25
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgurl View Post
That’s what we had to do. But they were able to remove the existing trusses, extend the wall height, and then reinstall the same trusses.
I wonder if there are code differences from place to place that could have an impact? (dunno what code requirements are for that kind of thing here)

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 11-28-2019, 10:51 PM   #26
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
My slab is barely adequate for a two-post lift. It was poured in 1986 and most but not all of the holes had adequate depth for the anchors.
When I bought my house, one of the first things I did was pick up my concrete driveway and bag it for the garbage men to haul it away.

That probably influenced my decision to go overboard on the concrete for my garage floor - 24' x 28', 21 years old, no cracks. Oldies but goodies: Garage 1, Garage 2
Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 04:31 AM   #27
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
You make a good point ...I’m going to have to ask my contractor who has done most of the work to my house to let me know his thoughts, then of course there is an easier solution, just get used to the 540 sitting outside.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 03:36 PM   #28
Alan
Carmudgeon

So I checked into the single post lift by American Custom lifts and thought it might possibly be a good option but am I crazy to think the price is really high ...

The lift is $7k plus another $1k for shipping + $1k to 1.5k for installation plus they have extra's you are going to want to have like Protectors to prevent the ramps from scratching your floor $90., then another $250 for low ceiling applications, etc.

Basically when you are all done you're at at least $10,000 and this doesn't include the charge from an electrician to wire up 220v plus the cost to raise the garage tracks and to change over to a side mounted garage door opener.

Then I started to think about it and it would only be good on the left side of my garage which means I need to be super careful each time I open the drivers door.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	american-custom-lift-m1-45-001.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	12587  
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 05:07 PM   #29
Nick M3
Relic

A lot less than more garage. And you can reverse into the space.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 09:07 AM   #30
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
So I checked into the single post lift by American Custom lifts and thought it might possibly be a good option but am I crazy to think the price is really high ...

The lift is $7k plus another $1k for shipping + $1k to 1.5k for installation plus they have extra's you are going to want to have like Protectors to prevent the ramps from scratching your floor $90., then another $250 for low ceiling applications, etc.

Basically when you are all done you're at at least $10,000 and this doesn't include the charge from an electrician to wire up 220v plus the cost to raise the garage tracks and to change over to a side mounted garage door opener.

Then I started to think about it and it would only be good on the left side of my garage which means I need to be super careful each time I open the drivers door.
A few thoughts:

AFAICT, you can afford to do whatever you want. Put in the lift, do all the garage mods to make it work, etc isn't going to hurt much. You just don't want to. I'm also guessing that financially, you can easily build a detached garage that would be exactly as you want or extend/expand the one you're currently using. I don't know if your property can accommodate and that may be the limiting factor.

You've talked about or alluded to not being happy with your garage space and car storage options quite a few times over a long period of time. Makes me think you really want to do something...and that eventually, you will.

So, the question is, do it now while you'll have the most time left to enjoy it or wait another few years and have that much less time to enjoy it while probably paying more for it?

The cost of this lift, the mods you'd have to do, and all that sounds like it would only be a fraction of the cost of any of the past 10+ cars you've bought.

Also, if you get the wiring done for 220, you won't have to do it when you get an electric car that needs it. If you have to park in a way where you have to be careful of a wall, a foam pad stuck to the wall at a strategic location will protect your door. Lots of choices on Amazon in the $10-$20 range. Been using for the Camaro and it works perfectly.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?