carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 09-17-2019, 11:31 AM   #101
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Hopefully musk will be just as motivated to achieve Porsche level build quality in the redesigned model s (whenever it comes out)
Uh, let me not hold my breath for that. He is not going to beat Porsche (or even German manufacturers in general) by having higher build quality or more redundancy built in or repeated racetrack use. That's their game not Elon's.

He is beating them with a head start (battery tech & drive units), charging network, stock pricing and software/UI (a traditional American forte) with a good amount of razzle dazzle thrown in. Not that any manufacturer is above razzle dazzle.

The stock price advantage is considerable. As long as you have billions of valuation that is not tightly tied to your operating margin, you can afford to invest in R&D, sell at a loss and make all sorts of bets. Of course, there is strong engineering underneath, but start-ups are partially self-fulfilling.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:38 AM   #102
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff View Post
T Fortunately, it's not terribly often that you see people driving EVs with their hair on fire. It's seldom enough that I never think about it as being a threat to my safety.

Teens staring at their cell phones while driving, however...
This is true. But I wonder if it will change over time.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:07 PM   #103
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Uh, let me not hold my breath for that. He is not going to beat Porsche (or even German manufacturers in general) by having higher build quality or more redundancy built in or repeated racetrack use. That's their game not Elon's.

He is beating them with a head start (battery tech & drive units), charging network, stock pricing and software/UI (a traditional American forte) with a good amount of razzle dazzle thrown in. Not that any manufacturer is above razzle dazzle.

The stock price advantage is considerable. As long as you have billions of valuation that is not tightly tied to your operating margin, you can afford to invest in R&D, sell at a loss and make all sorts of bets. Of course, there is strong engineering underneath, but start-ups are partially self-fulfilling.
Sadly, I think you're right. Personally, I'm not ready to jump on the EV bandwagon until I can have both (decent build quality + Tesla battery and drivetrain tech). As far as software/UI, I'd actually rather have one of the better German infotainment systems than Teslas just cause I find them to have more useful features and better thought out. Tesla definitely outdoes them on razzle dazzle though.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:26 PM   #104
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
A one-off engineering mule "beating" a production Porsche EV time around a racetrack in Germany is a mildly interesting piece of trivia, I suppose, but it is ultimately meaningless.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:47 PM   #105
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
A one-off engineering mule "beating" a production Porsche EV time around a racetrack in Germany is a mildly interesting piece of trivia, I suppose, but it is ultimately meaningless.
All 'ring times are ultimately meaningless; they mean even less than 0-60 times for the average driver.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:50 PM   #106
JST

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1173992505672519680

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elon

Replying to
@Teslarati
It’s a start. We expect these track times to be beaten by the actual production 7 seat Model S Plaid variant that goes into production around Oct/Nov next year.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 01:29 PM   #107
ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
This is true. But I wonder if it will change over time.
Inevitable, I think.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 04:37 PM   #108
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
All 'ring times are ultimately meaningless; they mean even less than 0-60 times for the average driver.
Sports cars are meaningless. But people buy them anyway.

Why make cars like a Porsche 911 and then evaluate it based on how well it drives the speed limit to the grocery store and back?

It's a purpose built device designed to do something that you don't actually intend to use it for, but it's fun drive it around on public roads anyway. Once you accept this premise (which admittedly makes very little sense), evaluating it on the ring is a very reasonable thing to do.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 10:57 AM   #109
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Go to 0:40 mark....

equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 08:43 AM   #110
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Totally unbiased analysis.