carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 08-28-2019, 09:59 PM   #11
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Good to hear. My friends with an Acura MDX just got rid of it for an X5. Wonder how it will compare over the long haul.
If it’s the new X5 it will be a much better car, the MDX is a ‘good’ car but that’s about it. It does things well but not great.

Let’s put it this way, for the money it works well ... my 5 series blows it away.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 11:58 AM   #12
RMR
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2020 Honda Civic Hatch Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
I'm hearing things about lousy Honda quality these days (which the video also mentions).

I will agree with this from experience. Honda/Acura has gone way to far into infotainment and tech that its a nightmare. I miss the Honda of the 90s. We have so many problems with the 2018 TLX.

RMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 12:59 PM   #13
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMR View Post
I will agree with this from experience. Honda/Acura has gone way to far into infotainment and tech that its a nightmare. I miss the Honda of the 90s. We have so many problems with the 2018 TLX.
Yep. They've had to follow the Germans down the road of more frequent tech updates and turbo engines, so now they're now offering German reliability (maybe worse since they have less experience). Toyota seems to be facing similar challenges as they transition to the turbo/tech era.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 01:03 PM   #14
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
If it’s the new X5 it will be a much better car, the MDX is a ‘good’ car but that’s about it. It does things well but not great.

Let’s put it this way, for the money it works well ... my 5 series blows it away.
I think that's always been Acura's "secret" tagline: "For the money it works well". Does the MDX now have the same infotainment system as the RDX? That would be a dealbreaker for me- it's infuriatingly frustrating to use. They should have just used the same system as the Accord and called it a day rather than trying to re-invent the wheel w/ some bizarre trackpad interface (or just copied BMW and used an actual control wheel)..
Old 08-29-2019, 04:19 PM   #15
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
I think that's always been Acura's "secret" tagline: "For the money it works well". Does the MDX now have the same infotainment system as the RDX? That would be a dealbreaker for me- it's infuriatingly frustrating to use. They should have just used the same system as the Accord and called it a day rather than trying to re-invent the wheel w/ some bizarre trackpad interface (or just copied BMW and used an actual control wheel)..
The infotainment system in the MDX is my biggest complaint, it is not the same as anything current, it is old and slow. You would think it came from out of the original Honda Pilot
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 05:22 PM   #16
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:

Yep. They got the new X5, with a six cylinder. And their MDX must have been 10 years old or so. They tend to buy one car and keep it forever.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 05:39 PM   #17
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
The infotainment system in the MDX is my biggest complaint, it is not the same as anything current, it is old and slow. You would think it came from out of the original Honda Pilot
Ah- I know the one you're talking about. Yes, that thing is awful too.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:52 PM   #18
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI

Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote