carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 07-26-2019, 09:28 PM   #51
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
sorta off topic, but where do you guys find private party cars for sale these days? The message boards seem really slow, autotrader, cargurus, etc are all dealer ads and C-List is just a pile of sh*t. I'm looking for a car for a co-worker (He hates buying cars and I love it, so I do all the searching and he writes the check) and am having a really hard time finding private party listings. Just wondering if there is a place I don't know about that I should be looking at.
Probably Craig’s List...
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 07:29 AM   #52
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
sorta off topic, but where do you guys find private party cars for sale these days? The message boards seem really slow, autotrader, cargurus, etc are all dealer ads and C-List is just a pile of sh*t. I'm looking for a car for a co-worker (He hates buying cars and I love it, so I do all the searching and he writes the check) and am having a really hard time finding private party listings. Just wondering if there is a place I don't know about that I should be looking at.
I found our Boxster on Autotrader. It was at a dealership in California.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 09:22 AM   #53
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
For a porsche, pca.org and rennlist, as well as the usual cars.com, autotrader & cargurus. Dealer listings are searchable on porsche.com as well...

BMW, bmwcca.org, the bimmerpost forums (more active than the 'fest they seem) and the online trio.

I struggle with motorcycles. Cycletrader is not bad but not too active. Need to search multiple craigslists, e.g. onecraigs with specific search terms.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 09:24 AM   #54
equ
Alphanumeric

I'll go back and forth a bit on the Boxster until I come to a decision. I had a great drive in it yesterday and it's one of the only ways to have a modern 6-cylinder, great sounding, great handling porsche with a price that starts with a 4 (assuming current value in the high-40's).

I haven't put the top down once the weather got hot; only a few times outside of Maine. I'm not a sun lover. I don't deeply desire a cayman, I love them, but I have had them. 911? Maybe but then the handling is its own thing and I think of the boxster/cayman again. Thinking in circles...
Old 07-27-2019, 11:11 AM   #55
JST

I’ll put in a plug for CarMax, too, which has a broader assortment of performance cars than you might think.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 11:33 AM   #56
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
and the online trio.
What are you referring to?

I've been using everything else mentioned, it just seems like there are incredibly few private party listings these days.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 11:47 AM   #57
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
I'll go back and forth a bit on the Boxster until I come to a decision. I had a great drive in it yesterday and it's one of the only ways to have a modern 6-cylinder, great sounding, great handling porsche with a price that starts with a 4 (assuming current value in the high-40's).

I haven't put the top down once the weather got hot; only a few times outside of Maine. I'm not a sun lover. I don't deeply desire a cayman, I love them, but I have had them. 911? Maybe but then the handling is its own thing and I think of the boxster/cayman again. Thinking in circles...
It sounds like the resale is good on these Boxsters, if it is anything like the 991.1 resale value it really doesn’t cost money to own it so why get rid of it.

I was never one to keep cars more then a couple of years but my 991 is well over 7 years old and I really can’t see selling it ... it turned 15k miles a month or two ago and drives amazing.

Do you have room on your property to build another garage ? I only have a 2 car garage and though I live on a little under an acre I already maxed out the space I can widen the foot print of my home so I can’t add another garage.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 11:49 AM   #58
JST

Porsche resale has been strong, helped by the rise in 911 values and the switch to turbo engines but mostly by the buoyant economy.

That won’t last if there’s a recession—Porsche values were in the tank in 2009-12, especially on newer ones.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 01:54 PM   #59
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I’ll put in a plug for CarMax, too, which has a broader assortment of performance cars than you might think.
I've bought two cars at CarMax. One used and one new from one of their rare new car Toyota stores. I'm of a mind that CarMax is a place of last resort to buy a car. I know there are occasional exceptions where CarMax prices an interesting (or interestingly optioned) car reasonably, but nearly all their cars are priced 15-20% higher than is reasonable.

If you're searching for something very specific, not having the greatest luck finding a quality specimen of something that's normally common, they have the car that you've been looking for and/or just want to be done with the process even if it means overpaying a bit for the convenience, sure, CarMax is a fine place to buy.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 03:30 PM   #60
equ
Alphanumeric

Quote:

Had another late night "bandit" drive... Ok, not too bandit, just enough for some fun. It's simply too good to let go at this price point; when any other porker gets lots more money simply for being a 9-1-1, the icon.... Very satisfying top-down drive...

Additionally, while I prefer the color and options of my car (also slightly lower mileage at 21k vs. 28k), I realize it has to have a price delta with a GTS two years its junior, it'll be years before the newness gap closes and still an S-GTS gap will remain. This nice black/black only went to $52k.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...che-boxster-4/

Which means, I can't get high-40's, more like mid-40's (I would hold out if I were selling).

So yeah, not selling for a while...