carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 06-20-2019, 01:54 PM   #31
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
By far my most expensive was the new 05 M3 Comp pkg at just a hair over $60 and that was a once in a lifetime present to myself for my mid life crisis big birthday. EVERYTHING else has been under $40.

This is why I think I have been taking so long to get another car. Both the 13-15 Boxster S and 18 M2 I want are well into the 45-50 range.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:17 PM   #32
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
My cost of ownership on all those cars was really not that bad at all.
It's not even that bottom line rationality. It's full of logic and reason, but it doesn't overcome my willingness to put out up front or commit.

I don't know. It's just weird.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 04:14 PM   #33
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post

The M3 OTOH, will almost surely hurt even if I keep it for 6 years or so.

I don't think the M3 will hurt too much, those M3's really hold their value in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
This is kind of where I'm at mentally.

For me a big part of it is I want to be able to use my cars and not worry about big depreciation from that use. I take really good care of my stuff and I like my stuff to stay nice (i.e. no door dings, curbed wheels, etc) but if I owned a $70k M3 or a $100k GT4 I'd be really hesitant to drive it to work every day.
I can kinda relate to this but not in regards to the depreciation part but more on the part of taking care of my cars and being hesitant to drive to certain places ... I know with the 911 (and the R8 when I had it) I do not drive to certain places with it.

One thing for sure I never drive it out to dinner because I'm not letting some valet drive it and going to the mall is out of the question, I would worry too much that someone is going to ding it.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 04:46 PM   #34
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
By far my most expensive was the new 05 M3 Comp pkg at just a hair over $60 and that was a once in a lifetime present to myself for my mid life crisis big birthday. EVERYTHING else has been under $40.

This is why I think I have been taking so long to get another car. Both the 13-15 Boxster S and 18 M2 I want are well into the 45-50 range.
One thing I've realized is that the more expensive, "serious" German cars aren't as fun to me. I've had a bigger smile on my face driving V8 Mustangs, Challengers, etc than 911s and M3s. But, I'm also pretty OCD and really appreciate the build quality of nice German cars. I think an M2 might be the happy middle ground but haven't driven one yet. And I fall in love with nearly every 911 I see but if I had one I'd baby it, wax it too much, etc.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:26 PM   #35
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
This is kind of where I'm at mentally.

For me a big part of it is I want to be able to use my cars and not worry about big depreciation from that use. I take really good care of my stuff and I like my stuff to stay nice (i.e. no door dings, curbed wheels, etc) but if I owned a $70k M3 or a $100k GT4 I'd be really hesitant to drive it to work every day.

I’m coming around to your points of view. But at the same time, the older I get, the more I’m enjoying the little things more and more.

The drive to/from work sometimes can really make my day. There are a lot of fun cars though so this needn’t be an expensive pursuit.

That written the GTx cars do make total cost of ownership absurdly low.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 10:43 AM   #36
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I wish I could get more excited about street cars. I feel like ten years ago there were a bunch of cars I wanted to own, but these days I'm just not that excited about anything.

On paper I like the Camaro. I really enjoyed Clyde's car at an autocross. But the visibility out is a deal killer for me. The car feels so claustrophobic.

I should drive an M2. Everyone who has driven one absolutely loves it. I don't really like the styling and I worry about BMW's ever-worsening reliability. And they're holding their value pretty well. No other BMW even remotely interests me. The M3/M4 are just too big, too complex, too expensive and too heavy.

The GTI is a great car and probably the best all-around car on the market. Great visibility, comfortable, relatively fun to drive, inexpensive. But again, reliability. I've gotten the point I really don't want to work on my street cars.

The Civic Si honestly would probably be perfect for me... if it didn't have the styling it has. I can't get past it.

Mazda doesn't seem to build anything with any power, and I do like a little power in my street cars. The 3 with a turbo and AWD would make a killer daily driver. But as it stands, it's just a little too bland I think.

The Supra sounds like a great car, but it's auto only, it's really ugly and it's really expensive.

I guess this is why I've been stuck in the "do nothing" state for a few years. But the Mazdaspeed is getting long in the tooth and I feel like I'm going to want to replace it in the next year or so. So I've got to figure something out.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 11:02 AM   #37
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
I wish I could get more excited about street cars. I feel like ten years ago there were a bunch of cars I wanted to own, but these days I'm just not that excited about anything.

On paper I like the Camaro. I really enjoyed Clyde's car at an autocross. But the visibility out is a deal killer for me. The car feels so claustrophobic.

I should drive an M2. Everyone who has driven one absolutely loves it. I don't really like the styling and I worry about BMW's ever-worsening reliability. And they're holding their value pretty well. No other BMW even remotely interests me. The M3/M4 are just too big, too complex, too expensive and too heavy.

The GTI is a great car and probably the best all-around car on the market. Great visibility, comfortable, relatively fun to drive, inexpensive. But again, reliability. I've gotten the point I really don't want to work on my street cars.

The Civic Si honestly would probably be perfect for me... if it didn't have the styling it has. I can't get past it.

Mazda doesn't seem to build anything with any power, and I do like a little power in my street cars. The 3 with a turbo and AWD would make a killer daily driver. But as it stands, it's just a little too bland I think.

The Supra sounds like a great car, but it's auto only, it's really ugly and it's really expensive.

I guess this is why I've been stuck in the "do nothing" state for a few years. But the Mazdaspeed is getting long in the tooth and I feel like I'm going to want to replace it in the next year or so. So I've got to figure something out.
Is this on the radar? I can't find much about it--especially what the power will be like: Mazda CX-30 https://www.mazdausa.com/cx-30
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 11:03 AM   #38
JST

Quote:

I don't doubt that the M2 is smaller and more fun than the M3 (I never got a chance to drive one), but I don't think it's any less complex. It's basically the same car underneath, isn't it?
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 11:10 AM   #39
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Is this on the radar? I can't find much about it--especially what the power will be like: Mazda CX-30 https://www.mazdausa.com/cx-30
That's an SUV thing. Ick
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 11:11 AM   #40
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
That's an SUV thing. Ick
SUV-ish.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote