carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 04-08-2019, 09:10 PM   #1181
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
I haven’t had any problems with the phone-as-fob, so haven’t looked at getting a fob.

I also got the power increase update, and also can’t feel the difference. Maybe I need to floor it on the on ramp tomorrow morning?

But then again, I put the car in Chill Mode a couple weeks ago and kind of enjoyed it (it didn’t really feel slower, just smoother).
Old 04-09-2019, 08:25 AM   #1182
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
I was 100% sure I could feel the difference.

The I realized I hadn't gotten the performance bump yet. One week later I got it for real and now I'm 100% sure I can feel it again.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:24 AM   #1183
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
So… The racist CA vanity plate thread got me thinking about OH special/vanity plates.

Apparently, both of these vanity/special plates are available in OH:

Edit: Both are available on the Ohio "Superman" Plate. Too bad they don't have an Iron Man plate
Now THOSE are offensive plates.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:44 AM   #1184
rumatt
Mugwump

BTW ZBB, if you haven't tried it yet, nav on autopilot now changes lanes for you without user input. It's pretty crazy.
Old 04-09-2019, 05:36 PM   #1185
ZBB
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
BTW ZBB, if you haven't tried it yet, nav on autopilot now changes lanes for you without user input. It's pretty crazy.
Yeah — I got that update the other day and turned on the auto-lane change yesterday. In general, it works great. But it is crazy since it is very close to self driving. I drove to the airport this morning and the car basically did everything except the ~2 miles to the freeway and ~1 mile into the airport... It did a decent job overall (and all changes were safe). There was one change where it put me in the left most lane to pass a truck, but then moved me back behind the truck only to move left again 30 seconds later.

The one thing I didn’t like about it is a scenario I have when I leave work:
- There is a freeway on-ramp that I use that has one lane that joins 2 other lanes for 3 total lanes (so no merge); about 1/4 mile after that the 2 right lanes are an exit to a different freeway — with a relatively sharp 90 degree curve to the right (and the middle of the 3 lanes is an optional exit — you can also continue on that freeway). And its a high traffic area (rarely stop and go, but typically a heavy moving flow).
- When the on-ramp joins the first freeway, Autopilot wants to move the car over to the left lane — even thought that’s not necessary until after the ramp to the 2nd freeway.
- So using auto lane change, it wants to move the car into the middle lane. I used to just ignore the “ask” before, and now have to take action to cancel (or just wait to turn on Autopilot.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:07 PM   #1186
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Yeah — I got that update the other day and turned on the auto-lane change yesterday. In general, it works great. But it is crazy since it is very close to self driving. I drove to the airport this morning and the car basically did everything except the ~2 miles to the freeway and ~1 mile into the airport... It did a decent job overall (and all changes were safe). There was one change where it put me in the left most lane to pass a truck, but then moved me back behind the truck only to move left again 30 seconds later.

The one thing I didn’t like about it is a scenario I have when I leave work:
- There is a freeway on-ramp that I use that has one lane that joins 2 other lanes for 3 total lanes (so no merge); about 1/4 mile after that the 2 right lanes are an exit to a different freeway — with a relatively sharp 90 degree curve to the right (and the middle of the 3 lanes is an optional exit — you can also continue on that freeway). And its a high traffic area (rarely stop and go, but typically a heavy moving flow).
- When the on-ramp joins the first freeway, Autopilot wants to move the car over to the left lane — even thought that’s not necessary until after the ramp to the 2nd freeway.
- So using auto lane change, it wants to move the car into the middle lane. I used to just ignore the “ask” before, and now have to take action to cancel (or just wait to turn on Autopilot.
Is there a setting to make it to act as it did before (prompting for confirmations?)
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 06:18 PM   #1187
ZBB
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Is there a setting to make it to act as it did before (prompting for confirmations?)
Yes - and that is the default.

When turned on, you also have the option for the car to alert you by making a sound, vibrating the wheel, or both. I tried both for a bit and turned off vibrate — so only have a sound (which is a pleasant single bong)
Old 04-09-2019, 06:28 PM   #1188
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
a pleasant single bong

What? Oh. Never mind. Carry on.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:42 PM   #1189
ZBB
Relic

Ooh boy, at least I didn’t call it a dong sound!
Old 04-09-2019, 09:57 PM   #1190
rumatt
Mugwump

Quote:
Ooh boy, at least I didn’t call it a dong sound!
If you had, he could have posted nearly the same picture.

The self driving is shockingly good in ideal conditions, and sometimes terrible in less than ideal conditions.

But overall, I'm really impressed. Except with off ramps. On those the car drives like a scared, drunk 95 year old.