carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 04-08-2019, 07:52 AM   #81
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Congrats!

Though I don't understand your comment about CX-5 legroom. With the driver's seat set for me, I have a lot of legroom in the left rear seat. I never found it wanting for space. The CX-5 is far from perfect, but for what it is with both really enjoy it. It just needs another ~ 100hp.

Sounds like you made the right decision with the Rav4.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 08:52 AM   #82
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post

The sales guy asked if I wanted a photo of me with the car and I said, "God, no."

I think my wife will love it.
I almost just choked on my coffee when reading the photo comment!

I had no idea that Carmax did new cars

No automatic headlights does seem old school by now.

My car, truck, and RV all require keys in the ignition, and I am fine with that. Maybe I'm just a little paranoid, but I feel that the vehicle is a tiny bit less susceptible to sealing/hacking without the push button start crap. My Edge was the last car I have had with key fob access, and it had a habit of honking at me when I would get out of the car at the end of my driveway and walk to our mailbox (with engine still running) ((very annoying))

Best of luck with it!
Old 04-08-2019, 10:39 AM   #83
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
It's funny thinking back to Plaz's(?) recent car buying thread where I described what I normally do. I kinda don't want to do any of it. I want my wife to say "I want this," go out and give her a call a couple hours later to have her friend drive her to the dealer so she can drive it home and be done with it.

Yeah.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:45 AM   #84
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
The sales guy asked if I wanted a photo of me with the car and I said, "God, no."
Old 04-08-2019, 11:16 AM   #85
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Congrats!

Though I don't understand your comment about CX-5 legroom. With the driver's seat set for me, I have a lot of legroom in the left rear seat. I never found it wanting for space. The CX-5 is far from perfect, but for what it is with both really enjoy it. It just needs another ~ 100hp.
On the spec sheet, the CX-5 has 1.8" more rear legroom than the RAV4, so I don't really get it either. With the front passenger seat set as far forward as I might be able to tolerate, the rear passenger side felt constricted and mildly claustrophobic.

It was okay behind the driver's seat, but I drive with the seat further forward than I can deal with in the passenger seat. I don't think I had to have the seat very far back, but maybe? I was in disbelief. It was not an issue with any of the other vehicles.

Quote:
Sounds like you made the right decision with the Rav4.
I really, really hope so.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:21 AM   #86
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
I almost just choked on my coffee when reading the photo comment!

I had no idea that Carmax did new cars

No automatic headlights does seem old school by now.

My car, truck, and RV all require keys in the ignition, and I am fine with that. Maybe I'm just a little paranoid, but I feel that the vehicle is a tiny bit less susceptible to sealing/hacking without the push button start crap. My Edge was the last car I have had with key fob access, and it had a habit of honking at me when I would get out of the car at the end of my driveway and walk to our mailbox (with engine still running) ((very annoying))

Best of luck with it!
Yeah, it looks like Carmax has two stores where they sell new cars and bother are Toyota dealers. I knew they sold new cars somewhere, but since Toyota, why would I have known?

I agree with the potential for hacking, but I can live with it as long as the entire industry is at risk...at least until it actually becomes a practical problem. For me, once I got used to a fob staying in my pocket (about a week), having to more than be sure the fob is in my pocket became a horrible ordeal. A down right nuisance to actually dig the thing out to lock/unlock. Even worse to stick a key in an ignition and turn it.

It's like cave man times.

They honk when getting out or door closing was very predictable in the Focus. It's less predictable in the Camaro, but it's something I've learned to live with.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:51 PM   #87
jpgurl
Carmudgeon

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 MACH-E; '74 Austin Mini
Congrats on the new ride!
jpgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:25 PM   #88
Alan
Carmudgeon

I got tired of waiting for more pics so I just looked up this car, wow I am surprised ... Toyota did a really nice job on the styling !!

Btw if it makes you feel any better my friends Ferrari that I drove yesterday needs a key too
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:27 PM   #89
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
I got tired of waiting for more pics so I just looked up this car, wow I am surprised ... Toyota did a really nice job on the styling !!

Btw if it makes you feel any better my friends Ferrari that I drove yesterday needs a key too

Toyota does seem to be turning a corner with styling now. The new Camry is pretty decent looking as well as is the related ES
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:00 PM   #90
JST

Yeah and the Toyota probably doesn’t need an engine out service every few years, either.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote