carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 09-07-2018, 10:16 PM   #631
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Why not get the PUP? A set of MPS4S, brakes etc, 5k is not so much. Unless it rides too stiff.
The problem is that the PUP doesn't just add things, it takes things away.

1. You can no longer run (most) 18" wheels due to the bigger brakes
2. You can no longer use the aero-cover wheels (see #1) which extend range by 15% over the 20's. You're paying $9,000 for a bigger battery, then cutting your range by 15% by using bling wheels. Having the option to run the 18's is nice.
3. The PUP big rotors are 3mm thinner than the standard which creates a weird lip on the hub, preventing most aftermarket wheels from fitting without a spacer.

I also really don't want 20" wheels. So buying the pup means I'd have to
1. Sell the 20's
2. Buy 19's.
3. Sell the rear spooler which is dumb
4. Be unable to run smaller wheels and cheaper tires
5. And pay $4k for the privilege (net after selling / buying)

But I will say this. The PUP rode surprisingly well. And the lowered suspension and track mode are appealing. And the aero covers are hideous. I kinda want the track stuff out of morbid upgrade-itis, but I really don't drive on the edge of traction any more.

Last edited by rumatt; 09-07-2018 at 10:27 PM.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:55 PM   #632
rumatt
Mugwump

Forget the stock. Tesla's bonds are imploding
Old 09-10-2018, 05:22 PM   #633
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Delivered.

I like it. It feels so much lighter than the Model S. Our Dog likes it too -- she immediately jumped in!

I found one minor defect -- there is a paint drip at the very front edge of the trunk. They noted it and will have service repair it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2386.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	11965  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2388.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	11966  
Old 09-10-2018, 06:00 PM   #634
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Delivered.

I like it. It feels so much lighter than the Model S. Our Dog likes it too -- she immediately jumped in!

I found one minor defect -- there is a paint drip at the very front edge of the trunk. They noted it and will have service repair it.
Mazel Tov!
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 07:35 PM   #635
robg
Carmudgeon

Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:13 PM   #636
rumatt
Mugwump

AWESOME!

Review!?!?

EDIT: I really like the 19's. I'm going to end up buying a set.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:04 PM   #637
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Congrats!

Here is a nice (seemingly fair and applicable to NYC) Jalopnik review:

https://jalopnik.com/the-2018-tesla-...-of-1828853186
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:32 PM   #638
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Here’s an initial review - drove about 30 miles this afternoon/evening

It’s great. It feels like a Tesla, but makes the S feel like a fat pig.

I took one of my normal ways home coming back from Tesla to the house - which is about 11 miles, with only about a mile on freeway. It definitely feels faster than my S (theoretically, this 3 is only 1/2 second faster 0-60 than my S...). I can also feel the extra traction up from from the dual motor. But it has some rear bias to it — the rear slipped out a bit when I made a left turn onto a quiet street with a nice straightaway and I punched it. It feels very solid when driving, steering is good (more firm than the S in sport, so I’m trying the mid tier setting for now). It’s also quieter than my S - less road noise and less hum from the motor.

Not having any display in front of you will take a little getting used to, but the display works well. The screen is noticeably smaller than the S, and Tesla made some significant changes. All the basics are similar, but things are in different places. It doesn’t have some things the S had, like an energy usage graph, calendar (synced from your phone — supposed to be added to the 3 “soon”), and web browser. But it works.

Autopilot completed calibration after about 20 miles, so I used it on the way home from dinner. It’s like an advanced cruise control — speed plus steering, with automated lane changes by holding the turn signal stalk up or down. I didn’t have any of these features on the S, so I’ll be learning how to get comfortable with the tech. But I like it so far. I also tried out Summon in a parking lot — moved the car forward while standing outside it. That could be good for pullling into a tight parking space (or out if someone parks annoyingly close).

I’ll drive it to work tomorrow, so will get a feel for how it works in traffic.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:00 PM   #639
rumatt
Mugwump

Glad you're loving it so far.

I'm really surprised you said it's less road noise than the S. A lot of folks in the forums are complaining about road noise and wind noise, and saying it's louder than the S.

I actually briefly toyed with the idea of getting autopilot to deal with the occasional NYC traffic jam. But I have a hard time relaxing when I'm a passenger in a car while someone else is driving, so I figured I won't relax with EAP driving either.

I did really love the one foot driving with regen braking though. I think that might be enough to make driving in traffic jams pleasant.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:05 PM   #640
rumatt
Mugwump

The video.

Quote:
Every person I've ever seen use this has drawn a dick

They said the ride was "harsher than I would've figured". I'm surprised. I found the ride on 20's to be about equal to my E46 on 17's, and the Tesla on 18's definitely more compliant. I wonder if the tire pressures are just all over the map.