carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 07-04-2018, 09:58 AM   #1
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Macan S loaner

Synthetic crossover yuckiness.

I figured with the updated motor that the vehicle would be fun.

It’s not.

Damping and body control are good. Steering is heavy. In and around town the trucklet feels like the four banger. On the highway is it’s strength. Can accelerate between 60-90mph well. Cruises at 80mph sans drama.

It’s just a soulless contraption.

Externally it looks like the old EX35 (not a good thing). Inside it’s a hot mess of buttons.

Maybe I was expecting too much. But there is too much lag in the engine at low speeds.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:42 AM   #2
Alan
Carmudgeon

I’ve had a few of these for loaners and in general liked them quite a bit. The lag off the line and in general is annoying and the interior has way too many buttons but overall it was a comfortable vehicle with nice handling.

With that said the redesigned Audi Q5 is a better vehicle even with the 4 cylinder turbo it is more peppy, less lag and more connected to the road and has a nicer interior,
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:00 AM   #3
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
I’ve had a few of these for loaners and in general liked them quite a bit. The lag off the line and in general is annoying and the interior has way too many buttons but overall it was a comfortable vehicle with nice handling.

With that said the redesigned Audi Q5 is a better vehicle even with the 4 cylinder turbo it is more peppy, less lag and more connected to the road and has a nicer interior,

Agreed. The q5 seems better overall.

Old 07-04-2018, 12:54 PM   #4
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
Agreed. The q5 seems better overall.
I thought all new Audi’s have zero steering feel
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:13 PM   #5
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
I thought all new Audi’s have zero steering feel

I have a new metric for worst steering feel ever (Volt). The Macan is just artificially heavy.

It’s a useless vehicle to me.

Old 07-04-2018, 10:43 PM   #6
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
I did not like the Cayenne loaner I had.

The transmissiona was a nightmare.

If it was $25k sure, maybe. But nothing made me want to pony up big money for it.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 05:06 PM   #7
Alan
Carmudgeon

The one thing I didn’t like about the Macan was the position of center dashboard AC vents, I like cold air blowing on my face and the position of the vents doesn’t allow this because it basically blows the air right into the back of the steering wheel. From the pics i’ve seen of the face lift coming out for 2019 they moved these vents.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:39 PM   #8
robg
Carmudgeon

I think the X3 40i might be the best overall choice in that class now. Latest tech, strong power (0-60 in ~4.6), nice sound, RWD-based platform, reasonable interior room/utility and cheaper than a Macan S
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 03:56 PM   #9
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
I think the X3 40i might be the best overall choice in that class now. Latest tech, strong power (0-60 in ~4.6), nice sound, RWD-based platform, reasonable interior room/utility and cheaper than a Macan S
I really like the new X3, I drove one recently with the 4 cylinder turbo and it felt more substantial than the previous model though I really liked that one as well.

Also like I mentioned above I also really like the new Audi Q5 ... these 4 cylinder turbo's have come a long way I can't believe how quick they make them.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:42 PM   #10
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
I really like the new X3, I drove one recently with the 4 cylinder turbo and it felt more substantial than the previous model though I really liked that one as well.

Also like I mentioned above I also really like the new Audi Q5 ... these 4 cylinder turbo's have come a long way I can't believe how quick they make them.
Yeah - they definitely seemed to have upped their interior game on the new x3. Last gen has more hard, creaky plastics than you'd expect. Q5 interior is still superior, although I still think BMW gets the nod overall for electronics. Haven't had a chance to drive the latest Q5 though- just the current a4.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote