carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 04-13-2018, 10:25 AM   #1791
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
Has anyone besides wd had a latest gen (2013) forward boxster s. Looking at the 2013’s and the prices are right. Love the updated interior and better tech. Looking for opinions of people that have driven one. Obviously taking about the 6 variants.
See:

http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=123093

Any questions?

Options that I like:

- one of PASM or x73. The latter (passive) is a bit more fun to drive, the former is better on rough roads. Either beat the standard suspension (IMO)

- one of sports seats or powered seats. Likewise, after my five year base seats experience with the Atlas Gray car, I'd like either bolstered sports seats, or cushier lumbar supplying power seats. Mine happens to have the 18-ways, which is both. I do think the 14-ways are comfiest.

- PTV. Diff. Not sure how much it shows up in the real world, I still lack for rear grip with P-zero's below 65F. Can comment again when I get back on Michelins. I like having it, but making it a requirement will severely limit choices.

- PSE. I don't have it on with the top up, minor thrum/boom. Top down, I do like it. However, I wouldn't make it a condition. Car sounds great as it is with it off (better than 987.2's).

- S/C. Steering weight is better on sports mode. Not sure it's that crucial otherwise.

Things I like:

- Faster than 315hp would indicate. Not sure if it's torque, weight or underrating, but seems about even with 350hp rated base 991 (same 3.4L).

- Much better brake feel than 987 generations.

- Comfier roomier interior than 987's.

- Perhaps better 6-speed manual than 987's (though clutch engagement in both 987.2 and the 981 is worse than 987.1)

Things I don't like:

- Parking brake. Stupid location, push instead of pull, etc. etc.

- Missing rearview camera. Would really help in reversing. Really, previous owner, after $91k MSRP you skipped this?

- Steering feel is less compared to 987's hydraulic. It's good for "electric", but something has been lost. Too bad, as much has gained on chassis and brakes.

- Pet peeve: S/C on sport or sport+ and PSE on, too many fake and loud pops and crackles. Having owned a carbed bike, I don't need a simulation of one.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 12:58 PM   #1792
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Interesting.

This is what's on our 2017, and we really feel nothing critical is missing (except a stick, for some.)

Not quite as loaded as Equ's, but plenty of nice things. The 14-way seats are great. The GT wheel is really nice and gets the button for the Sport Chrono right on the wheel--also heated. Seat heating and ventilation are good perks, as well. Love the body color roll bars.

Sport Chrono gets you a lot of nice bits in the 718:

Sport Chrono Package
Adrenaline at the push of a button, goose bumps included: the functions of the optional Sport Chrono Package enable an even sportier tuning of the vehicle – and launch you to unprecedented sporty heights.

What’s new is the mode switch on the steering wheel, derived from the 918 Spyder to make you feel closer to the racetrack. Without your hand leaving the steering wheel, you can choose any of four settings: Normal, SPORT, SPORT PLUS and Individual. Now you can adapt the vehicle even more to the way you want to drive.

In conjunction with PDK, the Sport Chrono Package has three additional functions. The first is ‘Launch Control’, which can be used to achieve the best possible standing start – a racing start.

The second function is the motorsport derived gearshift strategy. In this mode, PDK is geared up for extremely short shift times and optimum shift points for the maximum acceleration available. This combination of uncompromising and involving performance is ideal for the racetrack.

The third function – SPORT Response – is an absolute first in the new 718 Boxster. Pressing the button in the center of the mode switch primes the engine and transmission for the fastest possible unleashing of power. In other words, maximum responsiveness – for a period of approximately 20 seconds. A timer graphic in the instrument cluster tells you how long is left.

Another component of the Sport Chrono Package is the stopwatch on the dashboard. The PCM is upgraded to include a performance display, enabling you to view, store and evaluate laps or other driving times.

Dynamic transmission mounts are also part of the Sport Chrono Package. The electronically controlled system minimizes the perceptible oscillations and vibrations of the entire drivetrain and combines the benefits of a hard or soft transmission mounting arrangement to offer a sporty yet comfortable cornering experience. In short, it enhances both driving stability and driving comfort.

Ours is Guard's red with Luxor Beige--a classic combo. Don't objectively love the beige, but it works really well in ATL summers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-04-13 at 12.51.32 PM.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	11738  
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 06:02 PM   #1793
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Thanks for the comments and feedback guys. Very informative read. Gives me options to look for when checking browsing the ads.

Equ that’s right. I forgot you had that 2013. Another senior moment of mine.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:41 AM   #1794
kognito
older fart than ZBB

This should go for very big bucks

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-2002-turbo-2/
Old 04-18-2018, 09:43 AM   #1795
zach
swinging for the fences

Carmudgeonly Ride: 987, X7 M60i, e36 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
Yeah, that's going to go for a lot. I wonder where we are in the value curve on those. If you had bought up a bunch of early 70s Alfa GTVs 5 years ago, you could sell them now for an enormous profit...
zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:57 AM   #1796
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
Super cute!
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 06:06 PM   #1797
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Wow, when I posted, it was at 32K

85K now
Old 04-18-2018, 07:07 PM   #1798
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

Jesus. Back when I was relatively new to BMWs, I had a buddy at work who had a knack for findings 2002s for pretty much free. I took one of them for a drive and loved it; should've taken him up on the offer of buying one off of him. Then again, that was before I changed careers and everything, so it probably would've left my hands by now.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:17 PM   #1799
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee View Post
Jesus. Back when I was relatively new to BMWs, I had a buddy at work who had a knack for findings 2002s for pretty much free. I took one of them for a drive and loved it; should've taken him up on the offer of buying one off of him. Then again, that was before I changed careers and everything, so it probably would've left my hands by now.
Your alternate history isn't that much different from the real thing, is it?

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:33 PM   #1800
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Am I the only one who thinks that thing is hideous?
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote