carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 04-21-2016, 10:18 AM   #21
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Hey, AF - You have an Audi in the family right?

bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 12:02 PM   #22
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

Nothing like doing a little nose candy in someone else's car. :O

I'm not fully up to speed on this stuff, but I thought there were several trackers available that were primarily intended for parents to keep track of their kids. Things that plug into OBD ports, for example, to monitor driving parameters along with GPS. I suppose a savvy tech could find one of those easily enough.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:02 PM   #23
ayn
gone riding...

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2024 Tesla Model Y LR
I have a Metromile, https://www.metromile.com/technology/

I got it a few years ago and they sent me a OBDII device that has its own cellular data connection. It's free and I can see trips I've made, MPG, est. fuel cost, and when parked on the street I get street cleaning warnings.

I'm not sure if they still give it away for free, they try to sell per-mile insurance and that's how the company makes money.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:25 PM   #24
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Hey, AF - You have an Audi in the family right?
I've got 2 Audi's right now but that video didn't look too horrible, the guy just kept flooring it ... also I always worry about my manual cars because of the clutch more then the automatics ...

BTW Who is crazy enough to post that video ... do you think that is really an audi mechanic I kind of wonder because of the subtitles showing what he was doing.

Meanwhile I like the idea of a cam in the car so that the person driving it knows they are being recorded.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:16 PM   #25
ayn
gone riding...

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2024 Tesla Model Y LR
Haha I almost bought my car from Audi Palo Alto.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-11-2016, 02:00 PM   #26
Alan
Carmudgeon

I think this might be the answer, there don't seem to be any fee's accept for the cost of the actual tracker. I ordered a few of them to try out.

https://buy.thetrackr.co/gu/special-...0-4d13b8537616
Old 07-11-2016, 02:06 PM   #27
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Only issue with those is that someone else using the Trackr app has to be within 100 feet of the device in order to let it send you the location...

From their site:
Quote:
If an item goes missing, TrackR's Crowd GPS network will help you find it. When another user of the TrackR app comes within 100ft range of your lost item, you will receive a GPS update of where your item is.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:58 PM   #28
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Only issue with those is that someone else using the Trackr app has to be within 100 feet of the device in order to let it send you the location...

From their site:
Arghh I knew I should have gone through and read all the details .... Ok I'll use it for something else I guess

Reminder to self ... Never order things while in the office and in business mode
Old 01-08-2018, 10:28 PM   #29
Alan
Carmudgeon

Both the R8 and 911 are going in for service and this thought came to me again, I want a tracker and it seems there are a lot more options but it gets confusing ... any ideas on what I can put in my car to track its location in real time ? Do I need to pay a fee or are there units that don’t make you pay it
Old 01-11-2018, 02:22 AM   #30
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
Both the R8 and 911 are going in for service and this thought came to me again, I want a tracker and it seems there are a lot more options but it gets confusing ... any ideas on what I can put in my car to track its location in real time ? Do I need to pay a fee or are there units that don’t make you pay it
Google's Privacy Snoop (or whatever cute & cuddly name they try to call it) does pretty-close to real-time tracking of where your phone has been which you cav view later on the phone. Not sure if it is sharable between phones "live". And you have to leave your phone on in the car somewhere.
Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote