carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 12-20-2017, 10:48 AM   #41
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Interesting comment about iDrive and Nav. In my dad's F30 335i (2012 I think?). I was again reminded why built-in Nav sucks compared to Google Maps on a phone.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:54 AM   #42
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
probably going down the same rabbit hole as you.

I loved the Cayenne loaner I just had --but when I drove the E61 recently, that was a very level setting exercise because then I liked the new Cayenne significantly less.

I like the new 3 series wagon. it's HUGE.

does it have enough pep?
Ha - it actually feels a bit small/tight to us after driving the X3 for a while. We've gotten used to the higher seating position and airier cabin. Probably didn't help that the interior was all black.

Feels quick- at no point did I ever think it needed more power. Think it does 0-60 in about 5.7 seconds maybe. My old X3, however, feels a bit faster from a stop because the throttle response is a bit better (though in reality I think it's 0-60 is quoted at around 7 secs).

I sometimes kick around the idea of getting an e61 535 wagon, but it's a somewhat pointless exercise to me (if I want to drive an older out of warranty BMW i might as well just keep the one i have since i know the history).

If I could find a leftover 17 x3 35i in a decent spec, I'd likely do that- but they are pretty much impossible to find at this point.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:58 AM   #43
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Interesting comment about iDrive and Nav. In my dad's F30 335i (2012 I think?). I was again reminded why built-in Nav sucks compared to Google Maps on a phone.
The latest nav system (particularly the voice recognition) is so good that it's a much better experience than fumbling with my phone. Inevitably, my phone will not have service when I need to put in an address, or Siri misunderstands me, or it loses it's GPS lock while I'm driving and goes through various re-routing shenanigans. I cannot wait to ditch phone-based navigation. Overall, idrive 5/6 with nav is the feature i'd be most excited about in a new BMW.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:05 PM   #44
John V
No more BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
The latest nav system (particularly the voice recognition) is so good that it's a much better experience than fumbling with my phone. Inevitably, my phone will not have service when I need to put in an address, or Siri misunderstands me, or it loses it's GPS lock while I'm driving and goes through various re-routing shenanigans. I cannot wait to ditch phone-based navigation. Overall, idrive 5/6 with nav is the feature i'd be most excited about in a new BMW.
What did you like about it? I found it really frustrating and slow to enter in an address. It didn't have real-time traffic data and re-routing. The display was nice, but that's about it. Admittedly I didn't try voice recognition... but we were going from Steamboat Springs, CO to Denver International and by the time I'd typed "Den" into Google Maps it had offered DIA as the first result. All while my dad was fumbling with the iDrive controller trying to find the airport.

I can't say I've ever had a GPS issue or a lack of service anywhere with my phone in the last five years.

FWIW I thought Siri was just about completely useless when I had an iPhone, but that was the first generation with Siri (4S?) and I'm sure it's improved since then.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:05 PM   #45
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
I don’t see why you guys think old tech is so useless. My DVD based system with the new 2015 maps I bought (unfortunately the last update BMW decided to make for my system) still works perfectly and always gets me there fine. Much easier then trying to listen and stare at my small phone screen.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:07 PM   #46
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
What did you like about it? I found it really frustrating and slow to enter in an address. It didn't have real-time traffic data and re-routing. The display was nice, but that's about it.
Address entry is annoying. The turn directions in the dash (assuming I remember to look at them) is handy.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 12:16 PM   #47
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
What did you like about it? I found it really frustrating and slow to enter in an address. It didn't have real-time traffic data and re-routing. The display was nice, but that's about it.
With the latest system you can just click the voice button on the steering wheel and say "navigate to [whatever]". Just like with Google maps /Siri you don't need to say the full address and you could also just say the name of a restaurant or whatever it is your're looking for. It seemed to get it right 100% of the time, doesnt' ask for confirmation and immediately starts guidance (again similar to how your phone works but better since it will also work without cell service and the voice recognition seemed faster/more accurate). Worlds better than what you experienced in 2012.

It had real-time traffic that was accurate in the limited time i had it. Another nice thing is that the directions are shown right in front of you in the cluster (again, better than dealing w/ a phone suction cupped to the window or propped precariously in the center console or cupholder).

I'm sure the routing will not always be as good as Google Maps, but overall the benefits outweigh that slight disadvantage.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:16 PM   #48
John V
No more BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
I don’t see why you guys think old tech is so useless. My DVD based system with the new 2015 maps I bought (unfortunately the last update BMW decided to make for my system) still works perfectly and always gets me there fine. Much easier then trying to listen and stare at my small phone screen.
Maybe it's how I use Nav, which is one of two general scenarios:

1) I know where I'm going, but I'm using Google for navigation to route me around traffic (I literally do this every day going to and from work). For this I leave navigation audio muted (alerts only) and just glance at the screen to make sure I know which of the three common routes it's suggesting. If it needs to re-route, that overrides the mute and lets me know I need to turn.

2) I don't know where I'm going and genuinely need navigation. I leave the audio enabled and listen to the turn by turn.

The only way I'd want in-car nav is if it were implemented exactly like Tesla does it. Huge center screen with Google maps, touch screen entry and real-time traffic / re-routing info.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:19 PM   #49
John V
No more BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
With the latest system you can just click the voice button on the steering wheel and say "navigate to [whatever]". Just like with Google maps /Siri you don't need to say the full address and you could also just say the name of a restaurant or whatever it is your're looking for. It seemed to get it right 100% of the time, doesnt' ask for confirmation and immediately starts guidance (again similar to how your phone works but better since it will also work without cell service and the voice recognition seemed faster/more accurate). Worlds better than what you experienced in 2012.
The car was a 2012. My experience was based in 2015. I guess it's been updated since then, which is good. Does BMW still make you pay for map updates, or do they have the capability to update them over the air?

Quote:
It had real-time traffic that was accurate in the limited time i had it. Another nice thing is that the directions are shown right in front of you in the cluster (again, better than dealing w/ a phone suction cupped to the window or propped precariously in the center console or cupholder).
Suction cupped to the window? Propped in the console / cupholder? No.

http://proclipusa.com/

edit to correct link because my copy paste skills fail.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:25 PM   #50
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Address entry is annoying. The turn directions in the dash (assuming I remember to look at them) is handy.
With Apple Carplay, you can just click on the address on your phone, and Apple Maps picks it up on the screen, with arrows on the dash, and prompts on your Apple Watch. Just requires dealing with Apple Maps, and being an Apple fanboy/girl.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote