carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 11-10-2017, 09:24 AM   #31
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Open diffs are not all the same. The 2006+ DTC program in bmw rwd's is much better than the e46 option. The rear brakes do a fairly good simulation.

My xdrive experiences are not good enough to recommend. Less grip/traction compared to audi & subaru (even if I prefer bmw overall as a car).
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:39 AM   #32
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Open diffs are not all the same. The 2006+ DTC program in bmw rwd's is much better than the e46 option. The rear brakes do a fairly good simulation.

My xdrive experiences are not good enough to recommend. Less grip/traction compared to audi & subaru (even if I prefer bmw overall as a car).
Is the Xdrive in the 3 series the same as the X5s?
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:40 AM   #33
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Yeah, the Tesla on all seasons is fine until you get to a hill. Any hill.

Get a set of winter tires. It’s worth it. Tire Rack will ship you a set mounted on aftermarket turbine wheels in a single day.
I already have an extra set of wheels -- the original 19's from the car. I bought a set of the current base 19's just about a year ago, and put those on when I got new tires earlier this year. I boxed the originals back up thinking I may need them for winter tires here...

I need to stop at Discount Tire this weekend to have them check one wheel -- I have a super slow leak in one tire (think its the valve stem…). I'll see what options they have for winter tires and the in-wheel TPMS sensors needed...
Old 11-10-2017, 09:49 AM   #34
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
I have no experience with audi's or subaru, but last winter I found my BMW '06 xi wagon on x-Ice 3's to be just awesome. It clawed up anything. Twice I went out mid-storm just for fun and I was as confident as could be.

The scariest part was braking. The confidence in acceleration left me disappointed in my ability to stop.

What were the scenarios where you felt it was lacking? Trying to get un-stuck (while parked, etc.. Something I never tried) or handling issues while moving?

Last edited by rumatt; 11-10-2017 at 10:04 AM.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:56 AM   #35
rumatt
Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
I need to stop at Discount Tire this weekend to have them check one wheel -- I have a super slow leak in one tire (think its the valve stem…). I'll see what options they have for winter tires and the in-wheel TPMS sensors needed...
Or just spray the hell out of it with soapy water and stare at it waiting for bubbles. Easier than hauling it to a store.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:53 AM   #36
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Ordered a set of Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II for my OEM rims.

Figured I'd just pay my guy to switch the tires this year (and next, I guess, then maybe one more?) instead of dealing with my old BBS rims and spacers with non-functioning TPMS, on which the old Michelin PA2s are just about spent.

Old 11-15-2017, 11:29 AM   #37
rumatt
Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz View Post

Figured I'd just pay my guy to switch the tires this year (and next, I guess, then maybe one more?) instead of dealing with my old BBS rims and spacers with non-functioning TPMS, on which the old Michelin PA2s are just about spent.

Why not just get new TPMS? The cost of job having to mount and unmount would pay for them, no?
Old 11-15-2017, 12:39 PM   #38
Plaz
•••••••

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
Why not just get new TPMS? The cost of job having to mount and unmount would pay for them, no?
This decision was all about convenience (aka laziness).

I think I've pretty much lost any and all motivation to do any of the work of owning a car myself at this point. Not sure if it's because I'm old, because I can afford it more easily now, both, or something else.

But this way I put a set of tires in my trunk, drive 5 minutes to a guy, go get some lunch, pay the guy and get my car back, drive home, and put a set of tires in my garage. Sounds pretty good.

245/265 snow tires are pretty ridiculous to start with, but I hope they don't suck too badly. More about the cold than the snow really.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:21 PM   #39
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
I have no experience with audi's or subaru, but last winter I found my BMW '06 xi wagon on x-Ice 3's to be just awesome. It clawed up anything. Twice I went out mid-storm just for fun and I was as confident as could be.

The scariest part was braking. The confidence in acceleration left me disappointed in my ability to stop.

What were the scenarios where you felt it was lacking? Trying to get un-stuck (while parked, etc.. Something I never tried) or handling issues while moving?
I didn't have a bad experience with my 06 330xi (that I had to get rid of after it got rear-ended, hard). It did a few VT ski trips and a few storms. It did well clawing up in a straight line.

My bad xi/xdrive story is from '11 335xi (car was under warranty and 25k miles or so, no malfunction suspected). I simply could not get into an icy parking spot, trying all possible nanny levels (on/partial/off). I had decent tread alpin pa3's on it. Then after many tries, I gave up and a Mini Cooper FWD with all-seasons promptly took the spot. Maybe it was an edge case, maybe they fit better between the ice piles. I don't care, the car was spinning diagonally, one front and one rear wheel with little forward traction.

That, and the floaty feel xi's have as the engine and thus the whole car is raised over the front driveshafts.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:02 AM   #40
Plaz
•••••••

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz View Post
These have been great. Grippy and sharp in the dry, but also comfortable. Good snow performance in up to about 2”, which is as much as I’ve tried. I like them much more than my last set of winters which were Michelin PA2s.