carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 08-15-2017, 02:49 PM   #51
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
The mk7 GTI is nose-heavy, but doesn't drive as such. Neither did the S3 in my brief test drive. But it also felt not large/highway/refined/Audi enough to me. At the time, I far preferred the b8.5 s4, even as I noticed the better turn-in on the S3.

The 5-cyl is bound to feel/sound more special than the GTI/GolfR/S3 variants. The big question will be whether the bigger block ruins the handling. In my view, it is possible to have decent-enough (for the road) handling with Audi weight distribution (the b7 rs4 through magic and the above mentioned MQB cars where the transverse/lamer layout actually helps as opposed to a longitudinal). The RS3 is transverse as well, so there is hope. Anyone here drive the TT RS? Similar layout though all the rags are saying this new RS3 handles better.

Sucks the longitudinal/transverse divide. Up to now, I've always taken my Audis as the former, and I still believe they are better on snow, have the better torsen center-diff and have better weight distribution. BUT... I think the rotational inertia effect is even more important than weight here. The transverse layout is far less bothersome, the longitudinal ahead of the front axle is basically a stabilizer.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 03:26 PM   #52
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
The 5 cylinder now has alunimum block. Is the 2.0T 4 cylinder still running a iron block?
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 08:18 PM   #53
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
The 5 cylinder now has alunimum block. Is the 2.0T 4 cylinder still running a iron block?
When i think about the TT-RS, i think about the head to head on the track done by Evo or Autocar where the car is absolutely a beast....in a straight line. But is a complete pig on the track.

And the 718 Cayman S ate its lunch.

Peak power is okay. But fluency matters, too, at some level. Else we would all drive Cameron's and Corvettes?

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 08:20 PM   #54
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
This:
https://youtu.be/UKueX_rGud4

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 09:03 PM   #55
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
When i think about the TT-RS, i think about the head to head on the track done by Evo or Autocar where the car is absolutely a beast....in a straight line. But is a complete pig on the track.

And the 718 Cayman S ate its lunch.

Peak power is okay. But fluency matters, too, at some level. Else we would all drive Cameron's and Corvettes?
yeah I ain’t arguing with that. All audi/vw(minus R8?) are basically fwd with the engine hanging out front, so always will be limited handling wise.
Old 08-31-2017, 03:31 PM   #56
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

nice review and claiming adjustable handling which is odd for an audi

Quote:
I could comfortably rotate the car on corner entry without it feeling snappy. This ability to control the rotation and effectively eliminate understeer allowed me to carry serious corner speeds. In fact, after just a couple of laps I was confidently kicking out the rear end on every corner. I could even do this entering the very fast and bumpy downhill right-hander onto the front straight. The RS was happy to hold a nice slip angle (not drifting) and even allowed me to adjust the slip angle mid-turn if I needed to. I left the car in full Dynamic mode, and I did not switch off the stability control. After just three laps — that’s all we got — I can confidently state that the RS3 would be a good partner for making passengers either laugh their butts off or throw up in pretty short order. It’s that much fun.

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/20...w-first-drive/
Old 08-31-2017, 06:52 PM   #57
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
I want an RS3. It makes no sense though so probably not happening.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:20 PM   #58
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
I want an RS3. It makes no sense though so probably not happening.
yeah sounds like a pretty nice car. The 5 cylinder sounds like a good engine and it seems proper sized. If they offered a hatch and stick is would be very tempting
Old 08-31-2017, 07:58 PM   #59
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
yeah sounds like a pretty nice car. The 5 cylinder sounds like a good engine and it seems proper sized. If they offered a hatch and stick is would be very tempting
I'd have an order for one if that where the case.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:35 PM   #60
zach
swinging for the fences

Carmudgeonly Ride: 987, X7 M60i, e36 M3
Yeah, hatch with a stick would be awesome. Matt, don't get one.
zach is offline   Reply With Quote