carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 04-01-2016, 08:41 AM   #121
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Hm, looks worse to me, but with the shaky potato video footage it's hard to tell. The model S is really bad in that regard.

I hope that glass roof is really well tinted, otherwise the rear seat passengers are going to bake.
The door opening does look really squeezed at the hip.

I guess there won't be an option for a normal roof.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:49 AM   #122
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
The door opening does look really squeezed at the hip.

I guess there won't be an option for a normal roof.
The big glass roof in the S doesn't bother me, except that the factory did a really bad job (at least on Ken's car) of applying the sealing goo. If you're sitting in the back seat and look up at it, you see a big black blob of what looks like Liquid Nails indiscriminately applied to seal the glass to the structure.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:10 AM   #123
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
http://youtu.be/16SWVS56aZU
This video is helpful; gives a good view of the rear glass and (at 3:24) the trunk opening.
Thanks. Thats a small trunk opening.

Too bad I have nowhere to plug it in. Maybe some day.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:21 AM   #124
kognito
older fart than ZBB

In 1974, I owned a Renault Caravelle 1.1 liter.

looking at this Tesla reminds me of the Caravelle nose

Old 04-01-2016, 09:23 AM   #125
bren
lawn boy

Wow. That's a dead ringer.

At least with the model3 it will be an easy decision to bolt on the front license tag holder.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:25 AM   #126
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
The big glass roof in the S doesn't bother me, except that the factory did a really bad job (at least on Ken's car) of applying the sealing goo. If you're sitting in the back seat and look up at it, you see a big black blob of what looks like Liquid Nails indiscriminately applied to seal the glass to the structure.
Build quality on the earlier cars was...spotty. And the service center fix for a lot of the rattling issues that afflicted early production cars was "apply more adhesive." There have been some issues reported with the giant glass on the Model X, but I think overall they're getting a lot better with this.

I'm going to have to let myself think about the design a bit. I don't love the Continental nose, but maybe I will get used to it. I'm kind of bummed about it not being a hatch, but I can see the trade-off between headroom and hatch space making that difficult--the Model S already has not so much headroom, esp. without the glass roof.

I'm not sure the glass roof will be standard. Did Musk address that?

I'm also not sure how I feel about the Prius-esque IP. I get the rationale for it, but I'm not sold on the idea that a speed display in the corner of that screen is enough. A HUD wouldn't surprise me, though.

Overall? I'd say it meets or exceeds what I was expecting in most respects. I don't think anything I've seen is a deal breaker. We'll see how it develops.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:27 AM   #127
JST

Oh, and did anyone else notice? Adjustable seat belt mounts. Haven't seen those in a while.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:30 AM   #128
kognito
older fart than ZBB

sorry about the BAP (big ass picture)

Mods can resize
Old 04-01-2016, 09:35 AM   #129
bren
lawn boy

Quote:
I'm going to have to let myself think about the design a bit. I don't love the Continental nose, but maybe I will get used to it. I'm kind of bummed about it not being a hatch, but I can see the trade-off between headroom and hatch space making that difficult--the Model S already has not so much headroom, esp. without the glass roof.

I'm not sure the glass roof will be standard. Did Musk address that?

I'm also not sure how I feel about the Prius-esque IP. I get the rationale for it, but I'm not sold on the idea that a speed display in the corner of that screen is enough. A HUD wouldn't surprise me, though.

Overall? I'd say it meets or exceeds what I was expecting in most respects. I don't think anything I've seen is a deal breaker. We'll see how it develops.
I never heard any talk of the glass being optional. He went on about how it gives a spacious "feeling" numerous times.

This car looks to have a much higher roof profile than the mS. Outside of real estate agents, how many people actually put adults in the backseat anyway.

Quote:
Oh, and did anyone else notice? Adjustable seat belt mounts. Haven't seen those in a while.
You mean the slidey things for the shoulder belt height? Don't all (newish) cars have those?
Old 04-01-2016, 10:07 AM   #130
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
I never heard any talk of the glass being optional. He went on about how it gives a spacious "feeling" numerous times.

This car looks to have a much higher roof profile than the mS. Outside of real estate agents, how many people actually put adults in the backseat anyway.

You mean the slidey things for the shoulder belt height? Don't all (newish) cars have those?
They did for a while, but lately they seem to have gone away.