carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 10-16-2012, 11:05 AM   #41
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD View Post
Chevy dealers are still totally uninformed about the SS, so I can't seem to get any of them to take my money for a spot in line.

So now I'm feeling inclined to go for a more fuel efficient commuter to replace the E39 - like a used MCS.
If you're going to look at an MCS, I suggest taking an ST for a drive first. There are some in inventory around (base and ST2 package cars; just not ST3). It doesn't drive the same, but say it drives at least as fun as the MCS, has four doors, and new pricing compares favorably to used MCS pricing. Let me know if you want company.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:08 AM   #42
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
If you're going to look at an MCS, I suggest taking an ST for a drive first. There are some in inventory around (base and ST2 package cars; just not ST3). It doesn't drive the same, but say it drives at least as fun as the MCS, has four doors, and new pricing compares favorably to used MCS pricing. Let me know if you want company.
I'm a few months out from actually doing anything. We never transferred the title on the E39 so it's still in my dad's name - so I can't sell it until the probate process is complete.

But that doesn't mean I can't go for a drive. I'll let you know.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:21 AM   #43
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
I'm a few months out from actually doing anything.
You know who you're talking to, right?

Now sounds like ST3s may be in production for customer orders, but dealer stock production won't start for another month. Why haven't I ordered? I don't know.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 10-16-2012, 01:38 PM   #44
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Why haven't I ordered? I don't know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde
You know who you're talking to, right?
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:02 PM   #45
clyde
Chief title editor

Exactly.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 10-16-2012, 04:04 PM   #46
kognito
older fart than ZBB

I know I have posted this here before, but maybe it is time to do a refresh.

Anyone can sign up for Ford's X-plan. Just send an e-mail to stockinf@ford.com

you will get a reply asking you for details about your stock purchase. I think it is a true statement that all of us here have some sort of ability to trade stocks, be it either with a 401K account or personal account.

To first get on the Ford plan, I bought 100 shares, and e-mailled the folks at Ford an attachment showing the trade details.

Truth be told, I have made a lot of money trading (F) a few times since its low around one dollar. (I think today it is trading around 10 bucks) I have probably save 8-14K on Ford purchases in the years since being an X plan member. All of us could put a different price value on what it means to be able to go into a dealer and get about the best possible price right away without have to play the deal game with the salesmen.

The stock plan is not a good as an employee plan because YOU are the only one who can benifit from the stock plan. You can get one PIN# a year, but the car has to be purchased in your name. You can't get a PIN for a reletive or a friend like the employee plan allows.

Also, I have made four purchases though the plan. The F150, F350, F550 and the current Focus were all purchase at plan savings. (the Focus is a lease, X plan works for leases too, but you have to make sure the F/I guys don't try to jack the paperwork back up to MSRP) The purchase of the F350 was the only one where the dealer actually used my PIN. The three other purchases I just said I had a PIN, and I got the lower price, I never had to make a PIN printout.

I do not know how much stock you have to own, I used 100 shares, and it worked. You don't need to keep the stock, you will be setup up with your own log in @ www.myplan.ford.com
Old 10-16-2012, 04:12 PM   #47
TD
Founder emeritus

Hmmm....

Quote:
The car company behind Ford, Mercury, and Lincoln cars and trucks allows shareholders to participate in X-Plan pricing. This is a pre-negotiated rate on eligible cars and trucks at a price that is lower than sticker prices, and just a little more over dealer invoice. X-Plan members receive a PIN that must be used on a purchase within 30 days. They can only ask for one PIN every 12 months and it must be used by the shareholder or immediate family member.

This perk used to be available immediately to new investors of any size, but Ford updated participation requirements. One must own at least 100 shares for at least 6 months before requesting the X-Plan PIN number.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:56 PM   #48
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Wonder if that changed over they years?? I got my login just before I traded my 2002E46 in for an F150, so this was around 2004-5.

I had owned my stock for about a week before I sent in my e-mail request.

Old 10-16-2012, 04:58 PM   #49
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Either way, over the past 8 years Ford plan has saved me a lot of money, and in the past 3 years, I have made a lot of money trading their stock.

I only own 300 shares now, but I owned a lot on its run up from a dollar a share
Old 10-17-2012, 12:14 AM   #50
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Ok, so this afternoon I went over to the local ford dealer to check out the ST in person.

Very nice! All cars should come with Recaro's.

Took about 15 minutes of bullshitting and them looking up the return date for our current Focus before I was able to drive it.

Ok, forget or remove everything I said about the handling of our current Focus, this is a total different animal than our SEL.

Only got to go about 4 miles, but wow, not at all as twitchy as our Focus.

I think tires and rims would help my car, but no way to add a turbo and clutch.