carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-04-2003, 07:25 PM   #1
GSR13
Realist

Carmudgeonly Ride: Honda S2000
Participated in Automobile Focus Group Today

Last week I filled out a survey in regards to a Focus Group. I was sent this survey because I own an E46 and it paid $75.00 for a couple of hours. I qualified and my appointment was today at 12:30:00. I was given a three ring binder and taken into a warehouse with black curtains. Behind these curtains were four cars:

Cadillac CTS
BMW 330i Sport
VW Jetta
Chevy Impala

All the cars had their markings covered with Duct Tape we were not told what type of cars they were. Each one was Silver Exterior/Black Interior and all were Automatics.

The first section of the binder asked opinions on my car, rating different aspects on a 1 to 5 scale, much like the BMW Survey. The second section asked me to write postive and negatives about my current car.

Finally, I was asked to grade all four vehicles on individually. I had to grade the front end and headlight appearance, the side view, rear view and overall quality of appearance. Then I was asked to sit in the drivers seat and observe the interior ergonomics, quality of materials and how much storage space there was. In addition, I was asked about the vents, cupholders and steering wheel. Obviously, the guys knew what car I personally own, so they asked that I pay particular attention to the other three.

After making my observations, I was "debriefed" by one of the workers and asked specific questions comparing the CTS and the E46. This is when it became apparent what the Focus Group was about, how to make the CTS a better competitor to the E46. The worker even admitted as much.

I feel, personally, that I gave the most honest answers I could. Obviously, 99% of the people could not care less about the input I offered, but who knows.

I will say this, the CTS is actually pretty nice on the inside. I expressed this, but also expressed that I could never consider a vehicle a competitor unless I actually drove it. The gentleman seemed to truly appreciate my input and it was pretty cool. That said, I was really hoping it would be the E90.
GSR13 is offline   Reply With Quote