carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-29-2018, 02:05 PM   #29
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

I think the future will involve not just automation within the vehicle, but connectedness from the infrastructure itself. We will eventually all be driving on "smart roads" that help to coordinate all of these cars. It'll probably start with smart highways, where you will have to drive yourself (like, actually touch the steering wheel and pedals...ugh) to the on ramp, then let Big Brother take over. You'll have to take over once you're off of the grid again. Eventually, even the small access roads will be connected, and "driving" will be a matter of getting in your vehicle and entering your destination.

In the U.S., where we're still relatively spread out, I don't think full automation is going to happen for several generations, and I highly doubt that things like trains and buses will replace cars. But urban centers and our interstate system will probably go full-Skynet well before we're too old to drive.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote