carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 03-11-2007, 02:31 PM   #1
SCA
Jaded

Automobile Four Seasons Wrap-up - '06 330i

"Let's get the bad news out of the way first. The 3.0 liter in-line six in our Four Seasons BMW 330i suffered a major mechanical failure."

The first indication of a problem with our 2006 330i was valve ticking at cold idle. Before long, there was constant valve noise throughout the rev range at all operating temperatures. BMW of Ann Arbor diagnosed worn camshafts, lifters, and rocker arms caused by a lubrication failure in the cylinder head. As a result our car was off the road for five weeks, awaiting further diagnosis and parts from Germany. Luckily the car was still under warranty, but we would have been hyperventilating over a $4300 repair if that weren't the case. We have long admired BMW engines, but we're starting to wonder whether or not some of their cutting edge technology is truly ready for the production line."
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 03:04 PM   #2
dan
redefined

what's a Four Seasons BMW 330i?
dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 03:15 PM   #3
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveli View Post
what's a Four Seasons BMW 330i?

Automobile's long-term report (1 year).
Old 03-11-2007, 08:11 PM   #4
RMR
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2020 Honda Civic Hatch Sport
Is this really an issue with other E90 owners?

RMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 08:42 PM   #5
ff

Quote:
"... but we're starting to wonder whether or not some of their cutting edge technology is truly necessary."
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 08:51 PM   #6
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
"Let's get the bad news out of the way first. The 3.0 liter in-line six in our Four Seasons BMW 330i suffered a major mechanical failure."

The first indication of a problem with our 2006 330i was valve ticking at cold idle. Before long, there was constant valve noise throughout the rev range at all operating temperatures. BMW of Ann Arbor diagnosed worn camshafts, lifters, and rocker arms caused by a lubrication failure in the cylinder head. As a result our car was off the road for five weeks, awaiting further diagnosis and parts from Germany. Luckily the car was still under warranty, but we would have been hyperventilating over a $4300 repair if that weren't the case. We have long admired BMW engines, but we're starting to wonder whether or not some of their cutting edge technology is truly ready for the production line."
yuck a mongous. 4300 no doubt for a rebuild job. no thx.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 09:42 PM   #7
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Yikes. My 330i has 2 months and 4K miles left on the warranty. The starter(?) made an ugly noise the other day when left outside overnight at near 0F degrees.

I keep thinking that I doubt my car will have repairs worth more than the $2K the extended warranty will cost, particularly when I now put less than 8K miles a year. This kind of thing makes you wonder.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 10:05 PM   #8
killerdeck
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2016 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Yikes. My 330i has 2 months and 4K miles left on the warranty. The starter(?) made an ugly noise the other day when left outside overnight at near 0F degrees.

I keep thinking that I doubt my car will have repairs worth more than the $2K the extended warranty will cost, particularly when I now put less than 8K miles a year. This kind of thing makes you wonder.
I hear you! I put only 5-6K miles a year on mine, but have been noticing some strange things recently. Fortunately, I still have a year and a month left on my warranty to think about the extended warranty.
killerdeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 12:58 AM   #9
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMR View Post
Is this really an issue with other E90 owners?
From what I have read @ E90Post, yes.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:34 AM   #10
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
naive question: does the lubrication failure have to do with the ridiculous BMW oil intervals (tight narrow passages plus sludge?) or a design issue?

knowing nothing about what the worn parts looked like, i'd still guess no design failure. maybe supplier parts not up to spec, but blasting BMW seems unfair at this point.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote