carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 12-09-2008, 02:42 PM   #1
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
The e90 shift knob

So JST's shift knob showed up last Friday, just in time to put it on for the drive downtown for our holiday party. I never truely hated the stock shift knob, but JST hasn't steered me wrong yet with a recommendation, so I decided to try it.

My first impression on the way downtown was "it's better, but I am not sure if it's worth as much as the knob costs." I decided to stop thinking about it and just drive with it for awhile and see what I thought over time.

It turns out that it's much better and makes the car feel a lot more comfortable to drive. It's more or less the same height as stock, but the stock lever has some relatively sharp corners that hit the palm of your hand. It's almost like the stock knob was designed for an automatic - where it wouldn't get used more than twice per trip. After using it for a few days, I have decided I love it. It's just a better feel.

Now I have to decide whether to make the lights work. I am sure they are red and it would take some work to get to a power source . . .
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 03:01 PM   #2
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwg View Post
So JST's shift knob showed up last Friday, just in time to put it on for the drive downtown for our holiday party. I never truely hated the stock shift knob, but JST hasn't steered me wrong yet with a recommendation, so I decided to try it.

My first impression on the way downtown was "it's better, but I am not sure if it's worth as much as the knob costs." I decided to stop thinking about it and just drive with it for awhile and see what I thought over time.

It turns out that it's much better and makes the car feel a lot more comfortable to drive. It's more or less the same height as stock, but the stock lever has some relatively sharp corners that hit the palm of your hand. It's almost like the stock knob was designed for an automatic - where it wouldn't get used more than twice per trip. After using it for a few days, I have decided I love it. It's just a better feel.

Now I have to decide whether to make the lights work. I am sure they are red and it would take some work to get to a power source . . .
You can tap the ashtray lights. The wiring harness is right in front of the shift knob; all you need are a couple of wire taps from Radio Shack or similar--I don't think you even need any additional wire. I never did it, but I thought about it.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 03:21 PM   #3
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
I think we need to start a thread wrt who has what parts from which generation car JST owned.

For example, you've got his shift knob from his prior 335i.

I've got his OEM strut brace from his ZHP

Anyone else?

PS: I do appreciate the brace, JST - just kiddin' around - it is funny though.

Ed
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 03:23 PM   #4
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
I think we need to start a thread wrt who has what parts from which generation car JST owned.

Anyone else?

Ed
The winning part, if I'm not mistaken, is JST's former "Strong Strut" strut brace which graced at least 3 forum members' cars.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 03:31 PM   #5
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD View Post
The winning part, if I'm not mistaken, is JST's former "Strong Strut" strut brace which graced at least 3 forum members' cars.
I admire his entrepreneur spirit - when the time comes, I'll end up selling the car with brace still in place, I'm too lazy to take it off (though, I will sell the windscreen separately - it's easily removable).

Ed
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 03:36 PM   #6
JST

Quote:

Anyone else?

Ed
Oh, that--that was actually originally purchased during a group buy from Cutter back in 2003 when Jon was still in charge over there for my E46 M3 (which was the last month of production in 2002 before they started bolting them in at the factory). It made its way into the ZHP when I traded the M3 for the 330.

Other items formerly of mine that are floating around but are probably not in anyone's car here are the ZKWs from my E36 M3 (someone in PA, IIRC), the ECIS cold air intake from my E46 323Ci (I think that one went to Canada), and the '95 M3 wheels that I used as autox wheels for the ZHP that went to a guy locally.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:44 PM   #7
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Oh, that--that was actually originally purchased during a group buy from Cutter back in 2003 when Jon was still in charge over there for my E46 M3 (which was the last month of production in 2002 before they started bolting them in at the factory). It made its way into the ZHP when I traded the M3 for the 330.

Other items formerly of mine that are floating around but are probably not in anyone's car here are the ZKWs from my E36 M3 (someone in PA, IIRC), the ECIS cold air intake from my E46 323Ci (I think that one went to Canada), and the '95 M3 wheels that I used as autox wheels for the ZHP that went to a guy locally.
I just dont have the patience to take all the stuff off and sell it. I could have ripped a bunch off my E36:

1. ZKW's
2. CD-43 headunit
3. Windscreen
4. JST's strong - strut tower bar that I got second hand from TD
5. E46 M3 trunk spoiler
6. Euro white front and rear lights

I guess the guy who bought it wins.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:49 PM   #8
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
I just dont have the patience to take all the stuff off and sell it. I could have ripped a bunch off my E36:

1. ZKW's
2. CD-43 headunit
3. Windscreen
4. JST's strong - strut tower bar that I got second hand from TD
5. E46 M3 trunk spoiler
6. Euro white front and rear lights

I guess the guy who bought it wins.
It can be a PITA, especially since you have to do everything all at once and taking stuff off is a lot less fun than putting stuff on. Still, some of that stuff would fetch a decent price on the forums--the ZKWs, the CD-43, the windscreen, and the strut bar.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:55 PM   #9
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Wow, that strut brace sure got around... I'm beginning to think about a strut brace for the e90 330i sport. The love/hate continues, but currently, with light wheels/tires (the winter set up is about 10lbs lighter per corner), I kinda like it. Amazing how much better it is... I just (stupidly) paid extra to refinish and make perfect the 162's for the spring. And now (especially after seeing they weight 31 front and 32 rear) I don't think I can put them back on again.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 05:07 PM   #10
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
Quote:
I admire his entrepreneur spirit - when the time comes, I'll end up selling the car with brace still in place, I'm too lazy to take it off (though, I will sell the windscreen separately - it's easily removable).

Ed
Or, um, you could let me know when you're about to sell the car. . .

"Jeep is the only true American sports car*" - Enzo Ferrari

* Or something to that effect.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote