carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 08-04-2008, 09:50 AM   #1
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
MCS, Jeep, ZHP, sportscar?

Yes, I know, more waffling.

I know that I currently have all I need. A roomy family wagon and a versatile sporty sedan. But I'm (we're) spoiled, so I want more.

Here's what I'd love to have in an ideal world:

-Family car (preferably a sporty wagon)
-Sportscar (for fun)
-MCS (for my wife/city car/commuter if needed)
-Jeep (for very bad weather/family top-down fun/outdoorsy activities/mild towing/satisfies the "must have one automatic car in the household" req from wife/etc)
-*Sports sedan (not needed if family car is sporty enough and MT)

My main issue with replacing the ZHP with a MCS is that the ZHP offers an element of refined performance I can use daily that neither the MCS nor the V70R can match. That silky smooth I6, all the comforts, etc. Maybe I'm nostalgic, maybe a nicely loaded MCS would not feel quite so different. I dunno. The V70R does offer refined performance, but needless to say, it's not as willing to play/capable as the ZHP.

Again, I'm sure that a ZHP for MCS+sportscar is a deal at face value that is hard to turn down, but the key here is that the sportscar will not be used as often as the ZHP is used right now.

Now, seemingly out of left field is my weird obession with a Wrangler ultd. I've thought about it a lot, and as insane as I'm sure it sounds to people here, I would actually get to drive that car a whole bunch more than a sportscar and get to do so in the company of my family/dog. In a way, it would also offer a far different experience than a Boxster would, for example. And while seldom, a Wrangler is able to do things I may need to do that no other car I own could, as opposed to a sportscar.

The thought of buying a Wrangler over a sportscar (which has crossed my mind before and I have posted about it here) is creeping back in my mind. Now I'm thinking that for the money I was planning to spend on a 987S (or maybe a bit more, I could actually own a new Wrangler and a cheaper sportscar (like an old miata or S2000 or even a '00 986S). It would be crazy to own 4 cars, but none of them (MCS/JKL ultd/very used sportscar) would be a very costly mistake if I had to sell it, and it would allow me to really gauge what I want/use. Perhaps I find out that a sportscar makes a nice paperweight until the kids are older.

My wife is on board with the idea of a V70R/MCS/Jeep garage. Adding a cheaper sportscar as a 4th car may be pushing it though. We'll see.

Finally, as a reminder, a wrangler would allow the V70R replacement to be a MT wagon.

OK, bring it on. Thoughts?
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:25 AM   #2
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Fc, you make my head spin ......
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:48 AM   #3
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Seek help.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:49 AM   #4
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Your "ideal world" only has you owning 5 cars?
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:49 AM   #5
dan
redefined

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post

Just do something.

Please.
dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:49 AM   #6
JST

That's a lot to read.

An MCS is not refined, and it would feel very different from the 330, but is that a bad thing? For punching around town, the MCS is a better car. It's smaller, it's more nimble, and it's more fun. Yeah, it's louder on the highway. Yeah, the seats are plastic (in mine, anyway). Yeah, the trim is not as expensive looking. But I don't take it on long trips, and it's enough fun that I don't care about the other stuff. It's got Bluetooth and Satrad, and those are the only gee gaws and "refinement" I need.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I think that it might make sense to have *two* Minis for everyday commuting, and a third, bigger car for the occasional road trip/trip to Home Depot. That way you wouldn't have to use a 400 hp V8 or similar to haul around two tons of metal in everyday driving.

I don't understand your thinking re: Jeeps. It looks like lupinsea has a blast with his, and to each his own, but driving one of those things is a unique form of punishment that I have no desire to endure. The only place they make sense is off road, and there's dirt and bugs and stuff off road. I'd rather have a Mini.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 12:05 PM   #7
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Your "ideal world" only has you owning 5 cars?
No!

I'd actually own a few more if I won a big jackpot.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:06 PM   #8
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveli View Post
Just do something.

Please.

Aww come on... This board isn't that busy today.

Last edited by FC; 08-04-2008 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:16 PM   #9
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
That's a lot to read.

An MCS is not refined, and it would feel very different from the 330, but is that a bad thing? For punching around town, the MCS is a better car. It's smaller, it's more nimble, and it's more fun. Yeah, it's louder on the highway. Yeah, the seats are plastic (in mine, anyway). Yeah, the trim is not as expensive looking. But I don't take it on long trips, and it's enough fun that I don't care about the other stuff. It's got Bluetooth and Satrad, and those are the only gee gaws and "refinement" I need.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I think that it might make sense to have *two* Minis for everyday commuting, and a third, bigger car for the occasional road trip/trip to Home Depot. That way you wouldn't have to use a 400 hp V8 or similar to haul around two tons of metal in everyday driving.
I actually WANT the plastic seats. Anyhow, I do only drive in short bursts, so I don't need the MCS to be smooth it the hwy. And as I've said before, perhaps change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST
I don't understand your thinking re: Jeeps. It looks like lupinsea has a blast with his, and to each his own, but driving one of those things is a unique form of punishment that I have no desire to endure. The only place they make sense is off road, and there's dirt and bugs and stuff off road. I'd rather have a Mini.
Well, I would also have the mini. Think of the jeep as a snowmobile or a boat. I'd love to go off-rading with it (and maybe will later on). For now, primarily it would be a cool family convertible that I can use on torrential downpours/blizzards and when I go mtn biking/hiking/camping which I want to start doing again next year. And it satisfies childhood dreams too. I know you guys won't understand and that's ok. Maybe it would be a mistake, maybe the best move ever. If it sucks, I won't completely get killed on resale.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:23 PM   #10
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I don't understand the Jeep fascination. You're not going to take it off road and they suck on-road. Plus they're not particularly safe for hauling kiddies around in. So just get over it.

You are obviously sick of the V70. Get rid of it and get a Mini. Keep the ZHP. It's worth more to you than you'll get on the used market for it and it's a handy vehicle for hauling kiddies around in. If BMW ever introduces a 335 wagon, buy it to replace the ZHP.

Then just wait it out. If you still feel the desire to buy a weekend fun car, go S2000/Boxster/Miata shopping. It's always fun to go test drive those cars anyway.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote