carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 09-30-2009, 07:53 PM   #1
JST

MIni Cooper S automatic

The Mini dealer gave me an actual Mini service loaner today, which is pretty cool. Even better, it's an MCS. Tragically, it's an automatic.

Honestly, WTF is wrong with BMW automatic transmissions? Just as with the 328 I drove when the M3 was in the shop, this thing is *terrible.* With sport mode enagaged, it holds gears way too long, engine brakes way too much, and as far as I can tell won't upshift into 6th at all. With sport mode off, the throttle response is so languid that you actually get a weird rubber band effect as the engine overcomes it's (minimal) lag.

You can overcome a lot of this by leaving it in sport and shifting it yourself, but it isn't really fully manual--it doewnshifts as you slow down, meaning you are frequently in the gear it wants you to be in rather than the gear you want to be in. Also, the shifts don't...happen...quite...fast...enough, and when they do, they catch you off guard and give you head bob--it's like being a passenger in a car you are driving.

Ugh. So terrible. I wouldn't recommend an ATX Mini to anyone on general principles, but this thing just destroys the car.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:00 PM   #2
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post

Honestly, WTF is wrong with BMW automatic transmissions? Just as with the 328 I drove when the M3 was in the shop, this thing is *terrible.* With sport mode enagaged, it holds gears way too long, engine brakes way too much, and as far as I can tell won't upshift into 6th at all. With sport mode off, the throttle response is so languid that you actually get a weird rubber band effect as the engine overcomes it's (minimal) lag.
My wife's 328iT was like that at first (with sport off). But after about 500 miles, it learned how we like to drive and its been much better since then. I'm guessing the loaners you've been give have too many random people driving them to develop a pattern to emulate...

But you're spot on in sport... I'll flip it from non-sport to sport when I know I need instant throttle response, sort of like downshifting one gear on a stick...
Old 09-30-2009, 08:23 PM   #3
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
My wife's 328iT was like that at first (with sport off). But after about 500 miles, it learned how we like to drive and its been much better since then. I'm guessing the loaners you've been give have too many random people driving them to develop a pattern to emulate...

But you're spot on in sport... I'll flip it from non-sport to sport when I know I need instant throttle response, sort of like downshifting one gear on a stick...
I've noticed the same thing with both of my parents' e90s. When I first drive it the auto is absolutely terrible, but if I keep it for a weekend we learn how to work with each other (the gearbox and me) and can start getting along.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:39 PM   #4
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
I've never driven a 4-cylinder front driver with automatic that provided anything approaching an acceptable driving experience.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:41 PM   #5
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz View Post
I've never driven a 4-cylinder front driver with automatic that provided anything approaching an acceptable driving experience.
well, it's not like the driving experience really matters to anyone who buys an automatic MINI.

they have a pretty low bar to hop over there.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:19 PM   #6
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Probably a couple of things:

1) I bet it has a lot to do with meeting fuel economy targets. They probably won't change it unless they get dinged on the JD Power IQS specifically because of it.

2) Sometimes there's a genune software issue - my E46 wagon's automatic would pick up bad habits (mostly a slam-downshift into 2nd from 4th when coasting downhill) and I'd need to regularly disconnect the battery to make it forget them. Eventually there was a software update that fixed it.

3) Like in case #2, the car can adapt to other people's driving style, which can be a bit disconcerting if you move between otherwise-identical cars.
Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:49 PM   #7
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
well, it's not like the driving experience really matters to anyone who buys an automatic MINI.
Eh, I've seen this comment many times, but I don't buy it, I've enjoyed many cars, autos and manuals.

While I generally prefer shifting for myself, I think people make way too much of this issue.

Many of today's automatics are so good (and shift so fast), there's no reason to believe you'd be any slower on a track in say, a 335i with an auto vs manual.

Ed
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:00 PM   #8
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz View Post
The worst automatic we've ever owned was my wife's 1992 Accord - ughh, the thing let you know what it was doing before during and after the shift.

The best 4 cylinder auto was the 05 Subaru - smooth, silky and always in the right gear - hard to believe it was a four.
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:17 PM   #9
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
The worst automatic we've ever owned was my wife's 1992 Accord - ughh, the thing let you know what it was doing before during and after the shift.

The best 4 cylinder auto was the 05 Subaru - smooth, silky and always in the right gear - hard to believe it was a four.
I've never driven an auto scooby.

My wife's old early 90s accord was just as you describe... with lots of engine "honking" and rattling to add a certain "I don't know what" (sic) to the experience.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:47 AM   #10
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
Eh, I've seen this comment many times, but I don't buy it, I've enjoyed many cars, autos and manuals.

While I generally prefer shifting for myself, I think people make way too much of this issue.

Many of today's automatics are so good (and shift so fast), there's no reason to believe you'd be any slower on a track in say, a 335i with an auto vs manual.

Ed
See, the thing is, you don't understand why other people don't like autos. Just b/c auto whatever is fine for you doesn't mean it's fine for me. I don't think people make nearly enough out of this issue or we wouldn't have so many people that don't even know how to drive manuals in the first place so it is impossible for them to have a preference for one transmission over the other. And regardless of how well you think modern autos shift, that doesn't make them as good as a manual. It makes them good autos. For me, it has absolutely nothing to do with how fast or slow you get around a track, how fast you can get from one gear to another, or how cool it is that the car rev matches for you. It has to do with being fun do drive. Autos aren't. Manuals are. Take other fun factors away, like power or rwd, and they get even worse.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote