carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 03-18-2005, 08:08 PM   #1
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Hey BahnBaum, E30 sunroofs

In your fleet of E30's, do any of them have wind noise around the sunroof area?

Mine makes some wind noise at about 70mph and higher, near the front of the sunroof. Not bad, but this stuff annoys me. I adjusted the height like the Benteley says (a few mm low in the front, a few mm high in the rear) but it didn't do anything.

I've read that a new seal can make it silent, but I don't know if I buy that. My seal looks fine to me. I might just weld the f*cker shut, or shoot a gallon of super glue into the seam before shutting it.

There's a tiny chance it's not actually a bad seal on the roof, but the winshield or something else. At some point I plan to tape the sunroof and see it goes away. I just wondered what yours are like.

Thanks!
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 08:25 PM   #2
BahnBaum
Tilting Rocinante

Re: Hey BahnBaum, E30 sunroofs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt
In your fleet of E30's, do any of them have wind noise around the sunroof area?

Mine makes some wind noise at about 70mph and higher, near the front of the sunroof. Not bad, but this stuff annoys me. I adjusted the height like the Benteley says (a few mm low in the front, a few mm high in the rear) but it didn't do anything.

I've read that a new seal can make it silent, but I don't know if I buy that. My seal looks fine to me. I might just weld the f*cker shut, or shoot a gallon of super glue into the seam before shutting it.

There's a tiny chance it's not actually a bad seal on the roof, but the winshield or something else. At some point I plan to tape the sunroof and see it goes away. I just wondered what yours are like.

Thanks!

Neither car has wind noise from the sunroof that I've noticed, but I'll listen more closely next time I'm on the highway.

I do have a bad driver's side door seal on my car that I'll have to replace.

Alex
BahnBaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 08:29 PM   #3
rumatt
Mugwump

Thanks. That gives me hope that it's fixable.

I got all the parts to rebuild my shift linkage (including UUC Delrin bushings) and install the Z3 shifter. Is it a bad sign that I haven't even left for vacation yet, and I'm looking forward to getting home so I can work on my car?
Old 03-18-2005, 08:46 PM   #4
BahnBaum
Tilting Rocinante

Quote:
I got all the parts to rebuild my shift linkage (including UUC Delrin bushings) and install the Z3 shifter.
Have fun with that, especially if the delrin is for the carrier bushing. They don't call it the bitch clip for no reason!

Alex
Old 03-18-2005, 09:00 PM   #5
rumatt
Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by BahnBaum
Have fun with that, especially if the delrin is for the carrier bushing. They don't call it the bitch clip for no reason!
Yeah, I'm mentally prepared for it to a royal pain in the ass, but I'm up for the challenge.

I'm giving myself Mon-Sat to work on the car (nights, after work). That should be plenty of time. If I manage to take longer than that, I'll be seriously pissed; autox'ing it on Sunday April 10th is not optional.

BTW, I need to figure out when I'm going to meander down to one of your autox's. The 10th is an option, but the timing might not work out so well. I'm leaning toward a later one.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:09 PM   #6
BahnBaum
Tilting Rocinante

Quote:
BTW, I need to figure out when I'm going to meander down to one of your autox's. The 10th is an option, but the timing might not work out so well. I'm leaning toward a later one.
We need to pick one that has the largest number of 'mudgeons planning on attending. I'm sure there'll be lots of opportunities during the summer.

Alex
Old 03-18-2005, 10:24 PM   #7
rumatt
Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by BahnBaum
We need to pick one that has the largest number of 'mudgeons planning on attending. I'm sure there'll be lots of opportunities during the summer.
I'm happy to let someone co-drive my car... get another mini competetion going.