Old 12-17-2003, 08:28 AM   #1
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
new competition for team PTG M3s

did you people notice this?

like the RS6s weren't headache enough.

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content...._code=01177784

now there's the CTS-V car and it likely will be very, very factory supported.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 08:54 AM   #2
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
It’s mounted so far back and so low in the chassis that there’s more empty space under the hood in front of the engine than in a ’67 DeVille.
[speaking of the engine]

I've never looked under the hood of the CTS but this sounds like a major reworking of the car's design. I'm suprised the rules allow so much modification to the location of the motor.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 09:51 AM   #3
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

From the Autoweek story:

Quote:
The most significant element of the new program is that Pratt and Miller is working hand in hand with in-house engineers. Already, feedback from the race program has influenced suspension design on the street-model CTS-V, a product of the GM Performance Division. There’s a computer link between the Performance Division and Pratt and Miller’s facility, and GM’s own internal engineers will be involved in the program on race weekends as part of their day jobs, not just as enthusiasts on their own time.
Not bad, GM. You're getting it right.

It's also very cool that the two cars in the program actually came off of the assembly line after failing a paint quality control inspection. Seriously, this says a lot about the way Cadillac is approaching this vehicle and the marketing of their division. I see a bright future here.

...oh, and I can't wait to see this car at NAIAS.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 11:49 AM   #4
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee
From the Autoweek story:

Quote:
The most significant element of the new program is that Pratt and Miller is working hand in hand with in-house engineers. Already, feedback from the race program has influenced suspension design on the street-model CTS-V, a product of the GM Performance Division. There’s a computer link between the Performance Division and Pratt and Miller’s facility, and GM’s own internal engineers will be involved in the program on race weekends as part of their day jobs, not just as enthusiasts on their own time.
Not bad, GM. You're getting it right.

It's also very cool that the two cars in the program actually came off of the assembly line after failing a paint quality control inspection. Seriously, this says a lot about the way Cadillac is approaching this vehicle and the marketing of their division. I see a bright future here.

...oh, and I can't wait to see this car at NAIAS.
wait a minute....the racing car will be there!?!?!?!?

Old 12-17-2003, 01:00 PM   #5
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pDz
wait a minute....the racing car will be there!?!?!?!?
Here's the last paragraph of the story, emphasis mine:

Quote:
GM designer Kip Wasenko designed the car, as he did the Cadillac LMP, and devised a paint scheme patterned after the “V” logo that designates Cadillac performance models. The car makes its public debut at the Detroit auto show and begins its competition life at Sebring in April, where it will square off against the likes of the Audi RS6, BMW M3, Ford Mustang, Dodge Viper and Chevy Corvette in the top World Challenge class, GT.
Based on that, it looks like the race car will also be there. It could also just be a case of poor writing.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 01:11 PM   #6
SCA
Jaded

Apparently PTG has some new M3's in store for the 2004 season. The current cars are for sale or have been sold already. This info comes from another BMW racing team.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 01:53 PM   #7
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean
Apparently PTG has some new M3's in store for the 2004 season. The current cars are for sale or have been sold already. This info comes from another BMW racing team.
the PTG cars were really competitive last year. i wonder if they'll have even stronger engines this year. i coudln't tell if they lost out to the RS6s because of the "winning penalties" or what?

they're obviously the best handling package in the class --i am not sure how to think the CTS-V will do if the corvette (albeit privateer cars) did not really make a dent into the GT class.

Old 12-17-2003, 02:21 PM   #8
scottn2retro
Realist

Carmudgeonly Ride: '04 Suburban
Quote:
You have a scoop on something? I was under the impression that Tom Milner/PTG and the SCCA weren't really happy with each other and PTG was thinking of not running Speed WC again, but maybe going back to ALMS.
Old 12-17-2003, 03:08 PM   #9
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptg95m3
Quote:
You have a scoop on something? I was under the impression that Tom Milner/PTG and the SCCA weren't really happy with each other and PTG was thinking of not running Speed WC again, but maybe going back to ALMS.
what sorts of limits are in place on your engine for your racing class? do they limit compression and displacement or does it ahve to be 80% stock or something like that.

Old 12-17-2003, 03:36 PM   #10
scottn2retro
Realist

Carmudgeonly Ride: '04 Suburban
Quote:
Originally Posted by pDz
what sorts of limits are in place on your engine for your racing class? do they limit compression and displacement or does it ahve to be 80% stock or something like that.
My car is equivalent to BMW Club Racing I-stock. Intake, exhaust & chip. Only internal thing is blue printing/balancing.

With regards to PTG and Speed WC, I think Tom Milner did not like the way his cars were continually getting weight added. I don't have an exact quote, but I think he feels the SCCA is intent on not letting the BMWs show their true capability.