carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 02-26-2005, 06:07 PM   #1
ARCHER
Crotchety

I picked up the S2000 for the weekend.

Damn! I like it a lot.

I've only had about .5 hours of seat time at this point and I definitely notice the lack of torque vs the M3. However, it is raw - much more raw than the M3, and I like that a lot. The rev limiter seems to shut the VTEC down just as it is coming on the pipe. My intitial impression is that I would want a pre-2004 model as torque is not this car's selling point anyway. We will see but so far, I am smitten.

I will say that the bolt-action shifter in this thing is a work of art. This alone is worth the drive. The throws feel to be no more than an inch, at most.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:11 PM   #2
clyde
Chief title editor

Re: I picked up the S2000 for the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARCHER
I will say that the bolt-action shifter in this thing is a work of art. This alone is worth the drive. The throws feel to be no more than an inch, at most.
I love the S2K shifters too.
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 08:45 PM   #3
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
So when are you placing your order?

If I were getting an S2K I'd be torn between pre- or post-04 models. The idea that VTEC was shortened isn't great. But for every day driving it's nice to have some torque down low..

I think the earlier models have a bit less cabin space, so if you're a big dude you might be better off in the post-04
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 11:19 PM   #4
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

Re: I picked up the S2000 for the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARCHER
Damn! I like it a lot.

I've only had about .5 hours of seat time at this point and I definitely notice the lack of torque vs the M3. However, it is raw - much more raw than the M3, and I like that a lot. The rev limiter seems to shut the VTEC down just as it is coming on the pipe. My intitial impression is that I would want a pre-2004 model as torque is not this car's selling point anyway. We will see but so far, I am smitten.

I love the S2000, JST be damned. The shifter is just one of the things that make it beautiful; it's about as perfect as I've ever experienced, and I simply can't see how anyone will make a better one before the clutch pedal becomes extinct. I also prefer the powerplant in the pre-'04 models, although the suspension modifications in the later models are good to have. As far as space goes...yes, the new ones are a bit roomier, but we're not talking about inches here. I wouldn't let that become a factor.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 04:45 PM   #5
ff

The shifter is indeed a work of art. I've felt none better.

When I first bought mine, I thought the torque was a little underwhelming. Part of it, is that the engine has some breaking-in to do, the rest is that you need to get used to the short gearing. Once you settle into the car, and it's broken in, this car moves without any effort. It really, really moves. You have to rev it, yes, but I find that adds so much to every drive I take in the car. You're always involved.

I would like the redline closer to its original height, as the rev limiter takes over while the engine is still in the heart of its powerband. It's by no means done making power at 8000 RPM.

My favorite thing about the car, as you termed it, is that it's raw. It's just you, some steel, the tires, and the road. No silly traction control, no ultra-vibration absorbing drivetrain mounts, no down-filled seats that cool your butt in the summer and heat it in the winter. The car has a single purpose, and a very limited base of potential customers.

Like I've mentioned in a previous review, I've finally found the car I've been searching for all my life.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 04:51 PM   #6
dan
redefined

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff
My favorite thing about the car, as you termed it, is that it's raw. It's just you, some steel, the tires, and the road.
steel's too heavy
Old 02-27-2005, 06:44 PM   #7
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff
The shifter is indeed a work of art. I've felt none better.

When I first bought mine, I thought the torque was a little underwhelming. Part of it, is that the engine has some breaking-in to do, the rest is that you need to get used to the short gearing. Once you settle into the car, and it's broken in, this car moves without any effort. It really, really moves. You have to rev it, yes, but I find that adds so much to every drive I take in the car. You're always involved.

I would like the redline closer to its original height, as the rev limiter takes over while the engine is still in the heart of its powerband. It's by no means done making power at 8000 RPM.

My favorite thing about the car, as you termed it, is that it's raw. It's just you, some steel, the tires, and the road. No silly traction control, no ultra-vibration absorbing drivetrain mounts, no down-filled seats that cool your butt in the summer and heat it in the winter. The car has a single purpose, and a very limited base of potential customers.

Like I've mentioned in a previous review, I've finally found the car I've been searching for all my life.
I'm a fan of the S2000, I just cannot imagine it being my personal daily driver. It seems like it would be a bit too much. I would, however, love to get one as a track/autox car in a few years. I'm sure everyone else would like to do the same, but that is my plan. If only there was a coupe so that I'd feel safer.

Anyway, it is awesome that there are cars for sale like the S2000 and Elise. Used examples will make great track/autox-only cars eventually.

All that said, I'd like to test-drive an S2000 this spring/summer.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 06:48 PM   #8
rumatt
Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff
Awesome. Glad you ended up loving it.
Old 02-27-2005, 06:49 PM   #9
rumatt
Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbr129
my plan.

Old 02-27-2005, 06:53 PM   #10
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbr129
my plan.

I will eventually buy a cheaper car that I wont cry over if I stuff it on a wall. Who knows what it will be, but it will happen. If I end up keep my 330i for long enough, it may be the one. But whatever it is, it would have to be worth under $10K.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote