View Single Post
Old 06-19-2012, 02:57 PM   #35
Biggins
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 22 Tiguan, 11 328i
A few more notes and impressions after a couple weeks of driving. I will finish the "break-in period" just in time for an autocross on Saturday.

The handling is excellent. I have not driven many sports cars, but I am ecstatic at how well it holds to the road even with these tires. I will find out more after dodging cones this weekend. It felt great on the backroads of WV last weekend.

I drove the 318 automatic to softball the other night and realized the truth behind what people have poked fun at how slow it is. I guess I am truly "fighting to merge" with the pedal all the way down in the 318. The Scion just has so much more power than I'm accustomed to from driving the BMW all these years. That said, it is not going to win many drag races. I'd guess I could get it 0-60 in under 7 seconds (the BMW would take 10). The surprise to me has been the gas mileage. Despite the usual traffic conditions in this area, I have averaged just under 32mpg since delivery during the break-in. I had been expecting mid-20s.

I have only two small dislikes: the dog does not love the car because she cannot seem to find a comfortable spot (front seat, back seat, even back with seat folded flat). I wish the driver's seat had a memory spot for when I need to access the rear seat. It takes me a minute or so to get the seat position right each time.

From the numbers I've seen online, it seem white is by FAR the most popular color for the FR-S because everyone loves that it has "pearl" in it. My logic was that if I'm driving a sports car, it's meant to be noticed. I still love the orange, and it definitely gets plenty of attention.
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote