View Single Post
Old 04-07-2021, 08:10 PM   #15
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
I've gone through a shitload of those water filters while we were full time RV'ing. I didn't think they did anything toward deionization.
They don't. Activated carbon filters are good for filtering out some biologicals and larger particulates. The particulates are what affect the service life of these things the most. as they clog the filter over time and reduce the flow rate.

Quote:
I'm thinking of having an additional line run to the garage door area that I can filter with one of these.
That unit doesn't include the flow rate in its description. That might be too technical for the product listing, but it isn't in the linked user manual PDF, either.

I'm not sure how much flow you're going to get through a pair of 10" filters. I have a CR Spotless unit, equivalent to their current DIC-20. To be fair, the current product page for the DIC-20 doesn't list flow rate, either. But I am able to run the output through a regular garden hose and a "fireman's nozzle" without any flow restrictor.

Those pictures are 6 years old - some time after they were taken, Chuck sent me the newer-style TDS meter which directly displays in PPM instead of the old-style neon lamp go/no go indicator.

If these are in an un-heated garage, you need to turn off the water flow to the unit and remove and drain the filters before the first freeze. That's how I ended up with a new-style head and canisters on a 2005 chassis (note the old logo compared to recent production).

To answer some other questions - the hose reels are "Retracta reels" by Macnaught and are quite hard to find in the US (they're Australian). I have these 2 water ones and a red compressed air one. The strange looking gizmo to the left of the reels is a WiFi access point.
Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote