View Single Post
Old 03-20-2021, 07:08 PM   #96
JST

Dropping this here rather than the 981 thread because it's more relevant here:

Today I drove a stock 987.2S with 30K miles on it back-to-back with my 53K miles 987.1S with Ohlins springs and dampers.

Wow, what a difference. The Ohlins really sharpen the car, in everything from turn-in to transient response. The stock car felt bigger and slower witted, with a noticeable lag in response that just isn't there on my car. It was extremely obvious, and made the newer car feel much more skewed toward GT.

What was maybe even more surprising was the improvement in steering feel. Maybe that's just down to the repacked bearings in the top mounts, but my car was conveying messages about the pavement that just weren't coming through the stock car.

I've been getting used to the Ohlins, and around town they are very firm; maybe even firmer than I want them (though I haven't tried adjusting them from the "canyon carving" setting we put them on when installing). But I didn't have a good frame of reference as to the change until today. And of course I don't know anything about the maintenance history of the car I drove, but it is a relatively low mile example that didn't feel obviously abused.

And I guess some of that may be down to tires (18" PS4s on my car v. 19" 2019 date coded Pilot Sport 2s on the 987.2), though if anything I'd expect the 19s to have a little less compliance and provide maybe a bit more sharpness on turn-in.

JV, you should get a set of these Ohlins immediately. I think you'd really, really like them.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote