View Single Post
Old 12-22-2019, 12:24 PM   #16
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
Nice. I wondered what these are like.

I think they have a bit of ride height, so I worried they handled like a top heavy pig.
They have +1.4" on the regular Golfs, half of that coming from the taller tires. Nope, pig would not be accurate. It's only slightly slower in the turns than a GTI, and it's not comparable to any CUV, SUV or pickup truck. It's lighter and lower than those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Equ ... just curious have you ever counted how many cars you’ve owned ?

It has to be a lot !!

I always keep track in my phone ... just wondering if you keep track too.
Many, I have a file somewhere.. However, this is C's car and she goes through them every few years as well. Since I've known her, a new Ford Focus Hatch, Subaru Impreza Wagon, Honda Civic Si Hatch, e39 BMW 528i (the only one we shared ownership on), Golf TDI Hatch, the GTI and now the Golf Alltrack wagon. The Focus and the Alltrack are the ones bought new. She has never liked the sedan 3-box form nor has she ever liked a raised car/CUV/SUV. Either hatches or wagons for her...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
It’s really too bad they didn’t put the 2.0 in these, but what does it have? 1.8?
1.8... It's just nice little engine that doesn't beat anybody - especially off the line - but it is very smooth. She got 28mpg on 93 with the GTI and hardly ever used the available 300hp (either commuting or driving the dog around). If she can get anything close to that on 87, it's already a win. Delta is like 60c/gallon.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote