View Single Post
Old 11-09-2019, 10:47 AM   #1
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Fil’s next car

I thought I had a thread on this but guess it was buried in a few other topics.

So my lease on the 550 technically ended in July. I did a 2 month extension through September, and then w/ drama on house I’ve been able to get 2 more months out of BMW. I might be able to get another month if needed but assuming I’ll be replacing the car later this month.

I was originally thinking of a M550 but we’ve decided a little more space would be helpful after countless times of trying to stuff the car full of crap this year. Last month my plan was to score a crazy deal on a leftover 2019 X5 50i. At the time 2019 leases were stronger than 2020. This month BMW has the same programs on 2020 and 2019 models, and remaining 2019 inventory is pretty “meh” so I’ve talked myself into a 2020 X5 M50i. A few extra M badges has to make it better, right?

What is “new” to me this year is the leasehackr forum. The traditional BMW forums don’t seem to be the wealth of info they once were. But there is a ton of great info on leases on leasehackr, and I’ve been shocked by how aggressive dealers are these days. In my prior life, “invoice” was a really strong deal. Today, a good deal on a new BMW is generally 10%++ below MSRP before incentives.

X5 leases are not as strong as the 5-series (higher demand means less need for subsidized residuals) but with the discounts I’m seeing I think I can still score a ~1% payment.