View Single Post
Old 01-07-2010, 11:43 AM   #25
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
So, here's a question--what about a 987 non-S?

There are lots of them around, so they're cheap and relatively easy to find. On paper, they look like a sad bet next to the S--no 6th gear, wimpy looking wheels, and only 240 hp from a 2.7L six.

But I just took one for a spin, and I have to say the non-S may really be all you need. It's plenty quick, though certainly not terrifyingly fast, and it handles like you'd expect a Boxster to do. Hell, it's got as much power (though not as much torque) as the 986S did. You have to row the gearbox more than you would in a 987 S, but then again, if you didn't buy a Porsche to row the gearbox, why did you buy one? The lack of a 6th gear is irritating, but it's not a particularly big deal in the kind of driving you are likely to do in a car like this. How many long highway blasts is one likely to take? Finally, the 17" wheels look stupid but that's an easy fix. And the compelling logic is this--even at a dealer, a 2006 with less than 30K miles is in the mid to upper 20s.
That's what I drove, it was pretty good. It had the 18's (or maybe they were 19's) and a nice trim package.

At the time, I felt it too pricey for what it was (3 years ago), but today, they're way cheaper than S's.

Personally, I'd rather row through a gearbox and work the engine - it's more of a traditional sports car thing for me (it's the way all sports cars I grew up with were).

What kept me from pulling the trigger was the noise and the cramped, narrow interior, and ultimately, the price (at the time). Also, Boxsters are pretty ugly IMO - I still can't get used to the push-me, pull-you styling and large overhangs, from some angles, it's downright weird looking.

Says the man who loves Z4's
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote