View Single Post
Old 01-07-2010, 11:41 AM   #24
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
So, here's a question--what about a 987 non-S?

There are lots of them around, so they're cheap and relatively easy to find. On paper, they look like a sad bet next to the S--no 6th gear, wimpy looking wheels, and only 240 hp from a 2.7L six.

But I just took one for a spin, and I have to say the non-S may really be all you need. It's plenty quick, though certainly not terrifyingly fast, and it handles like you'd expect a Boxster to do. Hell, it's got as much power (though not as much torque) as the 986S did. You have to row the gearbox more than you would in a 987 S, but then again, if you didn't buy a Porsche to row the gearbox, why did you buy one? The lack of a 6th gear is irritating, but it's not a particularly big deal in the kind of driving you are likely to do in a car like this. How many long highway blasts is one likely to take? Finally, the 17" wheels look stupid but that's an easy fix. And the compelling logic is this--even at a dealer, a 2006 with less than 30K miles is in the mid to upper 20s.
Interesting observation. It just might be the ideal car if you are buying it as a weekend toy and you don't want the cost associated with buying an S. It does seem like the regular ones are more plentiful and can be had for more realistic prices than the S models. Certainly eliminates some of the guilt associated with having a pricey car that does not get driven much.

Some of the regular Boxsters were sold with decent looking wheels, too... they don't all have the wimpy ones.