View Single Post
Old 12-06-2019, 12:57 PM   #10
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
Furthermore, I don’t understand how two motors would be less complex or expensive than a gearbox?
Ah, I was operating under the assumption that you already decided to have two motors, for some reason. For example, because you already have them and can just stick them in. Rather than design a whole new motor, which might be an awkward shape to fit in. Which is, I assume, why they are doing this.

Quote:
you’d have two motors attached to the axle at all times.
Exactly. That doesn't seem complicated at all. There's already a transmission and gears in there already. Just modify it to be 2 sources in, 1 out.

Quote:
The reason why different size tires are a problem for an LSD is because the wheels are linked together. This is obviated by decoupling the wheels.
The problem is that the torque to the ground is uneven. Torque vectoring works independently of why the uneven torque is occurring. In the LSD case it's because they are linked together, but that's not the only way it can happen. If the torque is uneven enough, for any reason, the car will want to not drive straight.

Torque vectoring is one of the reasons people are excited about Plaid - so it can obviously occur without an LSD.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote