View Single Post
Old 02-19-2019, 02:52 PM   #9
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Worth trying the Jaguar F Pace and or the Range Rover Velar?

The 340 is among the last of the AWD manual cars, so getting one now is not a dumb idea
I drove the F-Pace (once, non 6-cyl) before purchasing the Macan. It has a touch more space, and it has some minor positives but also has real negatives against the Macan, those two are a toss-up. There is no point at all...

The Velar looks good, but it's a softish SUV from what I read, and not cheap.

I think after haphazard buys and sells, I'm coming around to the reality that

1. I'll keep the Boxster, almost 3 years now, with no plans of replacement. If I were to replace, I'd only go with a 911 or a Cayman or something super similar in any case.

2. C needs her own car, we can't share (if I don't drive every day). I cannot offload my perceived AWD needs on her. If she (and large, lazy Ida) are happy with the GTI. That's fine, I don't mind the GTI, it's just not for me. And an R wouldn't be either.

3. The 340i xdrive will be fun to drive, it really sold me on the road test. Though unmodified 6-speed manuals with track handling package are like hen's teeth. And they will be even more so after a few years.

This will leave some problems unsolved. The 535i suffered a bit in our move as well as our construction materials purchases. No lasting damage, but I do have a picture of it listing under the weights of tile boxes (had to set suspension to stiff just to drive around). The 340i lower fascia, especially with the better suspension, is very low. It will suffer from what the e90 335xi and S4 and all my other cars suffered from. Ice chunks and snow piles.

Still, though, it's the kind of car I've been buying and generally keeping for twenty years, a manual sports sedan.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote