View Single Post
Old 02-19-2019, 01:09 PM   #1
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Consolidating? 340i AWD

Thinking about removing the Macan Turbo and the ole 535i and going into one AWD sedan. I thought about this when I sold the e46 m3 (but then used 340i xdrive prices were very high), I threw caution to the wind and ended up with the JGC diesel. Then I thought about this again in August/September when I started thinking about changing up the JGC. For whatever reason, I did not test drive a 340i.

- I was never in love with the f30 looks, I thought I had a superior (and cheaper because of age) f10 535i. The LCI cures it somewhat. With the right color and wheels, I might not mind the squished front. The only car I love the looks of is the Alfa, but that's out for other reasons.

- I was never in love with the f30 handling. I drove a few over the years, not just the 328i xdrive loaner spec, but also the rare upgraded suspension 335xi, as Fil suggested with this generation, there is hope for AWD bmw's. The car still wasn't compelling, went for a b8.5 s4.

Well, I drove an M adaptive suspension 340i xdrive yesterday. Not a long drive, but I was impressed. Pros:
- Strong pull, the engine feels a bit different and better than the N55
- Much better steering/handling than the pre-LCI f30 or f10 (rwd/adaptive)
- Good seat and driving position

Cons:
- Louder than expected inside. After being used to the 535i and Macan, it felt louder than it should. Did not feel like a luxury car.
- Smaller than expected inside. I wondered how I was so comfortable in 3-series all those years. I guess this is what getting older and softer feels like.

So yes, I'm seriously considering taking a several (at least) K loss on the Macan and selling the 535i as well. Neither of these cars are good trade-ins to the BMW dealer. One is too expensive and Porsche-CPO, and I don't see that value on trade-in. The other is too old, even at 56k miles, and good BMWCCA material (which is where I found it).

I can't really think of competitors. Yes the Alfa looks better, but I really prefer 6-cylinder and manual over either 4-cylinder or any kind of Auto (PDK included). Also, I need to rely on this car at 0F in Northern VT (my twice a year use case, but it matters).

I've gone through most Audis in the land. The b9 s4 does not have manual. The b8.5 doesn't handle as well, feel as smooth (also no roof rack receptacles).

I will comment further on the Macan when I have more time.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote