View Single Post
Old 02-04-2019, 09:21 PM   #6
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
I'm just guessing that you have never leased a car. If so, think of it as a long term rental car. Ever thought of replacing tires on a rental car?

The Golf (well, Rabbit) we bought in 2007 came with shit tires, pretty sure I replaced them with less than 10K miles on them. And since I replaced them in way south Texas, I'm sure they ended up on someone else's car in less than 24 hours.
I think I never clicked post earlier...

You pay for gas in a rental, right? Tires are consumable like gas...they just last longer than a tank.

On a 3/30k or 3/36k lease, there's a good chance you're going to use up a set of tires to the point you'll need to replace them before turn-in if you use all your miles.

If you're going to do that, why would you suffer on shitty tires so you can bu a new set of shitty tires at lease end when you could just as easily spend the same money early to enjoy good tires over the lease life and then put the OE tires back on at the end?

If you only expect to use 20k miles over three years, it's a more difficult call since there's a good chance you won't have to replace tires, but if you know the tires are shit and compromise your enjoyment, why spend all the money on the lease to begin with?

The point on range by JST and FC is well taken and I hadn't considered when I wrote something similar to above earlier today.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote