View Single Post
Old 12-07-2017, 01:37 PM   #2
3LOU5
Slacker Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff View Post
2017 Accord Sport, 14K miles

Hearing a distinctly metallic scraping sound coming from the front end, which speeds up and slows down with the speed of the car. It's easily reproducible and more of a "chhhhh chhhhh chhhhh" sound than a constant noise. The sound does not change when applying the brakes. Can be heard almost immediately after taking off, and audible up to the point where the road noise overpowers it. The kids had even commented on it from the back seats, asking what that scraping noise is.

I had both front wheels off, and:
- Inner and outer brake pads are all practically still new
- No evidence of rubbing anywhere in the wheel wells
- Rotor heat shields are all clear of the rotors
- Couldn't reproduce the sound while manually turning the hubs by hand
- Tire PSI at the recommended 32 PSI

Took it to the dealer today, and they had it for about 1.5 hours. Service mgr then asks me to go on a ride with the tech because "he couldn't reproduce the noise". (famous story, right?) Sure enough, the noise is completely gone, as far as I can tell. I asked him repeatedly what he fixed/changed, and he claims "nothing" every time.

So, OK, as long as it's not making the noise anymore, then whatever. As I'm driving back to work, it's obvious that the tires are now over-inflated because the steering is unusually light and sharp, and the car is riding very firm. I'll adjust the pressure back to normal when I get home, and see if the noise returns.

I've never heard of tires making that sort of noise, but based upon this and some random comments I've been reading on the internet, it seems like a strong possibility. Does that make sense?
I never knew you had an Accord Sport.

We were actually thinking about getting one before we decided we just had to have another minivan and got the Sienna SE. How do you like it ??

Btw, no idea about the noise. I was thinking brake rotor shield....
2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !
3LOU5 is offline   Reply With Quote